British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Omg the r so smart, they are fishing lol they look soooo darn cute they are adorable eehhhhheeeeeemmm bad racoon bad bad lol

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there were at one point 10 baby feeder fish. there may be 1 or 2 left........i didnt realize the zealousness of their fishing expeditions.........lol.

·
Registered
454 Posts
:eek:My 1800 gal pond was cleaned out last Aug by a heron. Or so I thought. So I shut it down, pumps, filter, etc and left it overwinter. In the spring decided to clean it out and start it up again and to my surprize there were 9 koi and goldfish still left in there. :)Not only that they doubled in size. :DMy dogs chase away any racoons who wander by and they do try and come around now and then. Also have a net over pond to keep herons out......so far so good LOL:)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so there is hope for the little fish still.................i think they try to terrorize thr fish out from under the rocks.....but they r so darn cute....the one at the farthest edge was quite interested in my cat on the porch.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
so there is hope for the little fish still.................i think they try to terrorize thr fish out from under the rocks.....but they r so darn cute....the one at the farthest edge was quite interested in my cat on the porch.
I bet it was Max lol

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
its amazing how easily the herons can spot fish in a pond. my uncles pond got cleaned out aswell, he ended up using fishing line zigzagging around the pond, confuses herons because they can't see it, and they cant get through to the pond

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you r right claudia. when i saw them i told jeni to get the camera. i was standing on the stairs watching and holding the gate closed over but not latched so it didnt scare them away and there was max on the other side using all his 16 lbs weight to open the gate .............little devil.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The problem is the shallow pond. If the pond is deep enough that they cannot stand in it, then they can only get fish from the edge, and if you have a steep drop off with no shallow areas, they won't be be able to get any, as they don't like to swim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts