British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I woke up this morning to find my discus with a chunk of flesh missing from his forehead from crashing into something in the tank last night. The tank and room are pitch black at night. Should I have a source of light to simulate the moonlight or starlight that might be present in the wild? What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
with discus i'd recommend if you do go moonlights, don't spot light it, try to get the light to spread across the tank. Point it across the fixture, start with a low setting, i've heard discus are sensitive to light disrupting their sleep pattern and them falling ill after time.

I do doubt though that the lack of light at night will be the issue. also i've read in several places there shouldn't be any sharp edges in tank with discus

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hi David:

I can't tell you the number of times I wake up to scratched up, dented, fin-ripped/nipped damaged discus!! When I had driftwood in the tank, I blamed it on the driftwood. Well, now all my discus are divided between two barebottom tanks and they STILL end up looking like they've spent the entire night scrapping with each other. Some nights, they actually do. There has been a lot of pairing up action and spawning in my domestic tank and I actually wake me up in the middle of the night when one of them hits the lid of the tank. If you've seen two discus males scrap, it's not pretty. So, I really don't think lighting is going to do it for you. Maybe you need more discus to keep the aggression down?

·
Registered
141 Posts
my personal experience with discus and nightlights was BAD! they were constandtly stressed through the day, and got sick, and died. i lost 4 discus before i tracked the problem back to when i put the night light in.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
My experience with moonlights is the exact opposite. My discus have never been bothered by the moonlight. Never sick, never stressed. They don't get spooked or startled, and are very peaceful. Plus, I love the look of the tank at night with the blue moonlights.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
just leave a lamp or light on in the room. its not good to have complete blackness..then when you turn a light on in the morning..they startle and can knock themselves out. if you do..then you turn on a light further away or room light..then turn their light on. ive never left my discus in complete darkness..always have light on and they dont die from having lights on all the time. they do fine and they dont startle. my shop always has light..as it has a flourescent on at all times . less at night. if you see discus at night..they all sleep and lean..in a pile. if its complete darkness and then in the mornign..bang..a light..they can startle .
id say your fish darted and jabbed itself . no sharp objects in discus tanks.
Also....you need to watch..if they get jumpy..better check your ph. it may have dropped. they get nervous and jumpy if it slides and gets too low . anytime my discus get jumpy i add aragonite and then they are back to calm.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i had 2 different brands....... i think one was the marineland? on with the buble wand built in, and the other was the type that you can string together

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.
A little bit of light at night seems to be recommended, and I did find supporting posts when I searched simplydiscus. I really like my planted tank, full of driftwood, and my discus. Hopefully this will help them avoid injury.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts