British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never noticed any Nitrite when I test my water with my API freshwater Master kit. I recently introduced some guppies into a tank that I have had set up, but empty for a while; over a month. I used seasoned sponge filters from other tanks and added them (two) to the 10 gallon tank.

Using the API kit I have test daily and never noticed any Nitrite. Did I miss it? The Ammonia was present but never over .50 ppm just before a water change. The Nitrate climbs and disappears after a 25-30 % water change.

I currently have a tennis ball sized ball of Java moss and plastic plants in the tank, no substrate.

I live in Surrey, BC and my tapwater, which I age (leave sitting in a bucket for 24-48 hours, with aeration, before adding it to the tank) does not show any Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate when tested.

Any ideas?

Could the test kit (purchased locally, not online and not expired) be the problem?
I bang the crap out of all the bottles and shake them before running my tests to ensure they are well mixed.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I wouldn't worry - you may have enough bacteria in your sponges to consume any nitrites, it just had to play a little catch up with your ammonia. The fact that your tank is producing nitrates shows that everything is working - nitrates are the end result of nitrite consuming bacteria.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts