British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am new to aquariums and fish in general but my late Uncle was into them and so it feels right to pickup 'his' hobby in my spare time (like very little spare time but maybe over the long term I can learn more & build something one day).

I would eventually like a small tank to manage in a sort of digital way. I'm a programmer by trade so I think it would be cool to write an application that can monitor temperature and oxygen levels (and any other levels you might suggest). Extra points if I can also run commands to physically 'disperse' or modify the tank's contents. I envision the program would send out an email/txt message alert if levels went outside of a given threshold. Maybe even a mobile version of the app that connects to the tank's 'server' for easy viewing of a live video feed or still frame snapshots taken automtiaclaly throughout the day.

Imagine that would involve equipment with digital sensors & some type of port for communicating with it; I am higher level programmer so don't want to get too low level with this but rather be nice to just get a network and HTTP connection established to each device for the purpose of reading data and issuing commands; but not sure how far along 'tank tek' is.

Any links or resources in that regard; ie- digital sensors, "fish tank APIs" or programmable equipment do send my way ! Otherwise, nice to e-meet you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have my tank setup digital/wireless.
Its set everything with the timers, & I can monitor everything with an app on my cell.
I even set up camera so I can check on things when I'm away.
Its amazing how we far our hobby has come, & how technology has made things easier for us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi i have been keeping fish for two years but still kind of newby, i have a ten and a five gallon, my fish are currently in the five since the ten is leaking. i have seven zebra danios and a pleco, i know the tank is a bit small for it but i think i can figure a way out. i am curious about pea puffer planed to keep them in the five, if anyone has information about pea puffers, plz tell me

·
Registered
807 Posts
Welcome to BCA PEA PUFFER.
Not trying to be rude here but...
I'd consider making your own thread as an intro especially if you have questions of your own.
Sharkdiver has questions on a different topic, & its very easy to stray from the original topic.
*Less work for the mods. ;)

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,379 Posts
I have one word for you APEX CONTROLLER. oh shoot that's two anyway you tube it please

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.