British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering a brackish water setup for a while now, and I've been doing a lot of research on species compatible with archerfish. This introduced me to Orange and Green Chromides (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_chromide) native to Sri Lanka and India. I'm thinking that I'd like to keep a few orange chromides with archers in the next tank I set up. I started to research other "oddball cichlids" from Asia and the Middle East. Apparently there are three species in the Jordanian River Valley (I haven't been able to find much info) and one cichlid native to Iran (http://www.briancoad.com/Species Accounts/cichlidae.htm).

I'm wondering if any members have experience keeping these fish, or if anyone has knowledge to share. Oh yeah, where can I find chromides in the Vancouver area?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'd love to get some wild type orange chromides like this one.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That kind of looks like a freshwater sunfish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrarchidae

This link had a few pix of different species.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/aquaticspecies/inland.phtml
It does!

I used to catch hundreds of pumpkinseed sunfish and yellow perch when I was a kid. Those species are so hungry (read:dumb) that I probably caught the same fish 10 times each. Bluegill and Crappie are pretty common back East as well.

I've always thought that it would be cool to set up a tank full of sunfish some day. I saw a longear sunfish at April's a while back, and it was getting along well with the South Americans. Might have to catch some pumpkinseed on the next trip home to NB...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On second thought, there must be some sunfish in BC. That'd be a fun roadtrip!

·
Registered
359 Posts
There are many lakes and rivers that have sunfish, perch, and other centrachids. They are considered an invasive species in BC and unbalance local ecosystems. I am not sure it is legal to transport them live, conservation officers would think you might be introducing them into a local waterbody. That being said, where I grew up in the Okanagan, I used to fish in the lakes where they were illegally introduced (in some cases our own authorities planted them long ago). I used to love catching them when it was too warm for trout. Here's some of the spots, I'm sure they still have sunfish.

Vaseaux Lake- perch, pumpkinseed, Large and smallmouth bass.
Osooyoos Lake Oxbows (at the north end, where the Okanagan River flows in) these back channel and swamp have everything (non-indigenous) - perch, pumpkinseed, bass, crappie, bullhead catfish, bluegill.

invasives have spread to Okanagan Lake and you can catch sunfish, bass, and perch off the old ferry docks on the Westside.

Locally, Hatzic lake has black crappie and imagine that you could catch them elsewhere.

It would be neat to set up a "coldwater" tank with North American sunfish in it.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
It does!

I used to catch hundreds of pumpkinseed sunfish and yellow perch when I was a kid. Those species are so hungry (read:dumb) that I probably caught the same fish 10 times each. Bluegill and Crappie are pretty common back East as well.

I've always thought that it would be cool to set up a tank full of sunfish some day. I saw a longear sunfish at April's a while back, and it was getting along well with the South Americans. Might have to catch some pumpkinseed on the next trip home to NB...
Carefull, dont be dumb like me. Catch 7 of them, bring them home, post them online, get dinged by a conservation officer, fish go away......

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
did u get fined?
He could have fined us but my dad is great with sweat talkin the law :)

The possible fine is over 100 though, not worth it IMO. I still want these fish though, if any one ever finds a supplier for sunfish let me know :) I am going to talk to the owners of the land around the lake and see what company stocks it this summer :)

Alex

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carefull, dont be dumb like me. Catch 7 of them, bring them home, post them online, get dinged by a conservation officer, fish go away......
Rough that they did that. What'd they do, tell you to eat them... or else!?

·
Registered
520 Posts
There are many lakes and rivers that have sunfish, perch, and other centrachids. They are considered an invasive species in BC and unbalance local ecosystems. I am not sure it is legal to transport them live, conservation officers would think you might be introducing them into a local waterbody. That being said, where I grew up in the Okanagan, I used to fish in the lakes where they were illegally introduced (in some cases our own authorities planted them long ago). I used to love catching them when it was too warm for trout. Here's some of the spots, I'm sure they still have sunfish.

Vaseaux Lake- perch, pumpkinseed, Large and smallmouth bass.
Osooyoos Lake Oxbows (at the north end, where the Okanagan River flows in) these back channel and swamp have everything (non-indigenous) - perch, pumpkinseed, bass, crappie, bullhead catfish, bluegill.

invasives have spread to Okanagan Lake and you can catch sunfish, bass, and perch off the old ferry docks on the Westside.

Locally, Hatzic lake has black crappie and imagine that you could catch them elsewhere.

It would be neat to set up a "coldwater" tank with North American sunfish in it.
Love fishing small mouth bass on osoyoos lake, one of the best bass lakes in BC. I heard Vaseaux lake has great size large mouth as well...it's just kinda too much they don't even allow to use electric motor on that lake. any way does Hatzic have large mouth as well? thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts