British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY TANK JOURNAL

July 28, 2010

After having some successes and failures, it's time to double up on the size of my fish. I've making the jump from a 5.5 gallon to a 10 gallon. Now at least I can have a few more fish without having to worry about annual tank crashes.

I've just picked up the 10 gallon tank from my buddy. My ill attempt to resist getting a bigger tank has failed!
IMG00090-20100728-2103.jpg (new tank)

I plan to do some plant propagating and stemcutting to spread out some of the plants.

Image1.jpg (5.5 gallon tank...soon to go to Scholz)

This weekend, I'll be transferring the following over to the 10 gallon:
florabase
rasbora hengali
rasbora galaxy
red Nyphaea Rubra
Stargrass
Glossostigma
Fissidens Fontanus
Blyxa Japonica
Green tiger lotus
Echinodorus tenellus
Green lotus
Saggitaria Subulata
Echinodorus bleheri
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Hemianthus Micranthemoides

IMG00088-20100728-2057.jpg

More to come....

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
=) I'm glad to hear you took the free tank from your friend!
Good luck on everything!
And wow.. your 5gallon actually looks stunning!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Your 5 gallon tank does look great, so I'm sure that your 10 gallon tank will look twice as good. I hope that you post some pics.

I'm glad that your 5 gallon is going to go to Scholz. I know he's been looking for some of those for awhile for his new setup.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I believe the mystery plant is...... HM aka baby tears (Hemianthus Micranthemoides)

nice start when is the transfer?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Congrats! The advantage with upgrading rather than just getting another tank is all your decor, the substrate and the filter are already colonized and you'll be able to skip cycling. Even with using a new filter, you can still use that old one on the tank until the tank is well established. When it comes to propogating your old plants, don't try to nurse plants that don't take to the tank transfer. After several weeks it'll be apparent what doesn't make it, so remove it to free up the light for other plants :)

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yeah, put quite a lot of money for the upkeep of the tank, but it's well worth it. Since the my tank is already established, i won't have to deal with all the new tank syndrome. Plus I have a bunch of Seachem bottles around...stability, prime, etc etc.

Tang_d - Thanks for the glosso, 1 strand of Hemianthus Micranthemoides. and 1 plantlet of Saggittaria subulata. You have a strand for me to try. Exactly 5 leaves....look at it now. but most importantly, thanks for the tips!

The 5gallon will go to a good home.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
EVOLUTION THROUGH THE YEARS...Part 1 of 4

July 31, 2010

As I wait for the silicone to set, I'd figure I'll post some pictures of my fish tank and how it has evolved the past 5 years. Yes, I have had this 5.5gallon fish tank for 5 years. If you ask me how I was able to resist getting a bigger tank, well, I did. I had a 2.5gallon tank (one of those Petcetera acrylic tanks) before. I was very successful in breeding my 3 panda corydoras in that 2.5gallon for some odd reason. Once the fry reached adulthood, that's why I decided to get a 5.5gallon.

I joined BCAquaria May 13, 2010, right after i came back from my vacation and found my tank in dire need of an overhaul due to casualties. I've picked up some plants and valuable tips from a few members. I am certain you notice the big explosion in plant growth in my tank after May 2010.

Enough writing. Time to post the pics.

March 2005 - right after I transferred from the 2.50gallon

march2005.JPG

August 2007 - change substrate from flourite to florabase

Aug 2007.JPG

November 2007 - Fish feeding

Nov 2007.JPG

November 2007 - Upclose Sterbai, Panda, White Cloud Minnow
nov11-07.JPG

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EVOLUTION THROUGH THE YEARS...Part 2 of 4

July 31, 2010

Continuation of pictures....

May 24 - Experimenting with camera

May 24.jpg

May 24 - Experimenting with camera

may24.jpg

Sterbai Corydora - 4 years old

sterb.jpg

Galaxy Rasbora

cpd.jpg

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EVOLUTION THROUGH THE YEARS...Part 3 of 4

July 31, 2010

Continuation of pictures....pruning and tweaking

June 4, 2010

jun4.jpg

July 14, 2010

july14.jpg

July 17, 2010 - after some pruning

july17.jpg

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EVOLUTION THROUGH THE YEARS...Part 4 of 4

July 31, 2010

The day before the transfer and upclose pictures of the plants.

July 31, 2010 - Plant growth....just 2 weeks since last pruning

growth.jpg

Glosso

glosso.jpg

Hemianthus Micranthemoides

Hemianthus Micranthemoides.jpg

Stargrass

stargrass.jpg

The tank

July31-1.jpg

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 10 gallon tank...

August 1, 2010

Doing the transfer from the 5 gallon to the 10 gallon. Took out all the plants and the fish. Picked up the extra bucket full of florabase. Took my time in replanting and rescaping my tank. I found that it's sometimes hard to throw away plants. Tried to leave some room for corydoras to swim around along the floor.

I divided the stargrass and baby tears and hope for an area where some of the rasboras can potentially lay their eggs.

Enough writing. More pictures....

August 1, 2010 - the bucket of extra florabase

1.jpg

Florabase in the new tank

2.jpg

Scaping the tank

3.jpg

Flooding the tank

4.jpg

the final product - with cloudy water

5.jpg

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
August 10, 2010

So two days ago, i went and picked up some more galaxy rasboras and was greatful given a small stem of Hygrophila sunset...and also one CRS (so now i like CRS cuz they stand out so well in my tank---so if anyone has a few i can buy off, let me know).

one thing i like to say is this stem grew 1 inch within 36 hour period! i snapped off each section and planted it under my florabase. left my lights on for the entire 36 hours (yes, it's a bit extreme, but i'm forcing my plants to recover from last week's transfer).

1 inch in plant growth. amazing.....

·
Registered
773 Posts
Are you doing co2? How is the glosso doing? Looks good you sound like me. I had my 5.5 for 10 years, then a year and a half ago I went bigger. Now i have 4 set up and a salty on the way. And 2 empty.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i've planned the layout of my tank to be swords and lotus' on the right side. left side, i will propogate and trim and replant the stems from the hygro, stargrass, and Hemianthus Micranthemoides.

the plants have now recovered. the stargrass started to turn black and transparent the days after i transferred. glosso has recovered even though there are some that's turned brown. i've actually disconnected my DIY CO2 for the time being until my swords arrive in the mail. thanks to eternity302, i've finally stabilized my water parameters and the fish are more active.

i do look forward to receiving my few plant additions: baclaya longloria and echin. horemani red...i don't want to put too much swords on the right side as they'll grow and take up more space.

here's some pics taken from my blackberry, been quite busy after making the transfer:

glosso
glosso.jpg

hygro
hygro in the back.jpg

lonely crs
lonely crs.jpg

tank - August 10, 2010
widescreen.jpg

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
=) Glad I was of help!

Anyways, I'm very glad everything's working out for you! And WOW.. stunning tank so far!
And it's only matter of time that you'll want a 20g long... and then a 55g... and then a 120g... LOL!
HAHA, I'm never satisfied with the footprint.. it never seem to be enuff!

But as Neven said.. take it slow.. I rushed it and OMG... i have been pruning weekly... sometimes i let it over run my tank LOL! but now I'm trying to slow grow everything~

Good luck =) I'll keep track of progress!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
August 15, 2010:

I've decided to post pics up weekly so I can see the difference in growth. Can't wait for another month of so. Also can't wait until my mail-ordered plants to arrive (just gotta remember to rinse it with some bleach....). Picked up a bulb of Aponogeton Natans.

Got the water stabilized with the addition of crushed coral since I have CO2 and few pieces of driftwood in the tank. I can tell the water is good as the fish as the corydoras are active.
Water parameters: 6.8pH, 4GH, does it matter with KH?

the lonely CRS was food for the pygmy corydoras. I think it may have been the drastic increase in temperature. No luck with shrimps in my tank...

now to hit the pool myself...enjoy the awesome weather!

Image1.jpg

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Nicely done!
I upload pictures every 3 days on facebook instead LOL, easier to keep track! But keep us updated!

1 - 20 of 171 Posts