British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just a reminder that we will have Oliver Lucanus of Below Water speak at our meeting on October 13 (a Thursday). We changed the date due to Thanksgiving being on the Monday.

We will have a speaker dinner again- if anyone has suggestions for somewhere that's great for a large group of people to eat nearish to UBC other than our usual Wolf & Hound we're open to hearing them. Wolf & Hound is awesome but variety is good to.

Oliver Lucanus is a freelance photographer and writer that has published photos and articles in over 20 magazines worldwide. He has co-authored five books before publishing The Amazon Below Water. Belowwater.com has consulted for a number of zoos, science teams and documentary film companies with over 20 years of experience in travel to the tropics and worldwide connections to government, science and industry.

People can order copies of the book online in advance of his presentation and get them signed at it- if there is enough interest we could also get him to bring copies with him. It's an absolutely gorgeous book. If you like freshwater fish and you have not seen it get it! Totally worth it, believe me.

He is the importer we get a lot of our rare and interesting freshwater fish for the Aquarium from and he gets the coolest stuff, also has great stories & info about the fish in the wild since he travels to their natural habitats.

Check out some of his videos here, and info about the book and so on:
Below Water - The Amazon

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If i have a question or two regarding some information,should i just look up the site ? or ask here? I would like to attend this session.If anyone else is going from here, we can form a group and meet up all together if theres any interest.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're welcome to ask here ( who knows, maybe someone else had the same question), or you can email any of us at the wet coast aquarium society. We have email addresses via the website. There are usually a couple of us lurking around though :)

-Jen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving! We are looking forward to seeing you all at our meeting this Thursday, Oct. 13, 7:30 p.m., room 2510 in the Kenny Building at UBC as usual. Note that we have about 55 seats available in the room, but may be able to squeeze in a few more. The doors will open at 7 PM.

We're very excited to host Oliver Lucanus of Below Water, from Montreal, Quebec- he's the first speaker we are flying in, so don't miss it! Oliver will be speaking on natural habitats of fish from the Xingu and Tapajos rivers in Brazil. I think this is going to be a great one because it is very on topic with all of the political and environmental issues in the news recently with regards to Brazil's plans to build a large dam, called Belo Monte, across the Xingu river. There are a number of important and beautiful aquarium fish that come from this area including zebra plecos and leopoldi stingrays, and I know Oliver will have amazing photographs.

As usual we will have a great member's door prize and raffle prize, and a Question and Answer period too.

Thanks, and see you soon.

-Jen & the WCAS Board

·
Registered
61 Posts
Best presentation ever seen in my life. A second didnt go bye without hearing ouuuuuu, ahhhhh, from the audience. Going to be dreaming diving in pristine Brazilian waters 2nite. Thank you Oliver. Keep up the awesome work!!!!

Much love from The Koi Collection:D

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I agree. I loved every second. So nice to meet the man behind the company and book.
Great speaker, great photos and nicest book yet.
We will be ordering our copies for sure.
I've been wanting to get his book. Maybe there can be a group buy on it?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Wonderful evening with amazing photos and cool info! I hope Oliver will come back with more pictures. I would love to see some neon tetras shots.
Now I can't stop thinking about the forest and creatures that are being destroyed because people care more about money. Haven't they heard saying that "Money can not buy everything" Certainly not new planet! I think people around the world should be more aware about what's really going on. Just because it's far, doesn't mean that it won't affects us in the long run.
Oh and I also managed to walk out with awesome new Do!aqua tank donated by Aquarium West. What a night!!!!! Thaaaaaaaank youuuuuuu.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oliver's Book

Oliver has a couple of names from the meeting to send books to but if there are others who want to buy it he said he will ship multiple books together as it saves on shipping. So I suggest if you want to e-mail him, order it, tell him you want to get it with the group from Wet Coast Aquarium Society, and he will see how many he ends up with that are heading to Vancouver and see if it is worth shipping them all together. We could probably hand them out at a meeting or something.

Below Water - The Amazon

Cheers
Jen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts