British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I posted this a while ago in the SW chat section, in a Nano discussion thread. Figured I may as well start a proper journal!

Here's how the tank looks in the "stand," and a (poor) FTS. These are clickable thumbnails.

And here's some close ups:

This is how things are at the moment. Light is two Coralife 9watt PC bulbs, and two ColdCathode tubes for evening/moonlight. Filter is an AC 20 HOB, with carbon and LR rubble. I'm also using an Elite mini for added circulation and mechanical filtration.

Future plans - building a refugium to take the place of the AC filter. It'll be nice to have a couple gallons more water volume to act as a buffer. Also, currently looking for another really bright piece of coral to even things out. Perhaps a clam as well.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Nice tank! I thought the 10 gallon I had before was small enough, but this is just looking great! Are you running a skimmer on this tank or just a HOB filter with some powerheads?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Just the AC20 HOB filter and an Elite Mini (it's like a super tiny submersible filter) for flow+mechanical filtration. I do 10% - 20% water changes each week. Been up for about 9 months now, and it's been very stable. Calcium gets a little high, but everything else in in normal parameters.

·
Registered
491 Posts
did you find a place that sells small bags of live sand. the cheapest ones I have been able to see... are 50$ a bag.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't need to buy much - just a couple small bags from Aquariums west. I think it was like 14.99 per bag of Carribsea, but don't quote me.

I'm pretty sure I saw it cheaper at Island Pets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts