British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered the water level in my tank awhile ago to allow more of a 'waterfall' outflow from my FX5 to break the surface and hopefully add more oxygen to my tank, but as I'm sure you can imagine the sound is getting very annoying. I remember somebody telling me that water movement alone will add oxygen to the tank but I don't remember exactly and don't want to risk starving my fish of oxygen!

SOO to sum it up how can I assure my tank is getting enough oxygen?
It's 125g, I have one bubble disk but I'm sure that doesn't add to much oxygen, thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
646 Posts
any surface agitation that creates gas exchange will supply oxygen. the best method to go about doing this in a taller tank; is by getting a power head and placing it near the surface of the water and aiming it up. its silent and it will provide tons of agitation if done correctly.

good luck

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I use a ZooMed and Maxi jet powerhead!
The zoomed pumps bubble in the tank, and the Maxijet basically creates a vortex on the top, both pretty quiet~

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
To determine if you're going to have a problem, you need to tell us what kind and how many fish you have in the tank or whether you have plants or not. If you have say half a dozen big fish in the 125 (like 8" or so) then I would say I wouldn't worry about it. Just aim the outlet of the FX5 towards the surface to cause more agitation but fill her up to the top (that's what I do). But if you have 100 African cichlids in there in an overstocked scenarios, or you have bigger/more fish than I described then you might need more.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I lowered the water level in my tank awhile ago to allow more of a 'waterfall' outflow from my FX5 to break the surface and hopefully add more oxygen to my tank, but as I'm sure you can imagine the sound is getting very annoying. I remember somebody telling me that water movement alone will add oxygen to the tank but I don't remember exactly and don't want to risk starving my fish of oxygen!

SOO to sum it up how can I assure my tank is getting enough oxygen?
It's 125g, I have one bubble disk but I'm sure that doesn't add to much oxygen, thanks for any help in advance!
IMO you are pretty close to where you should be. Whats an FX5, around 500 gph or so. thats alot of surface agitation.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
i have an air pump rated for 60 gallons hooked up to a foot-long air stone from king eds, it moves water like crazy (the water above it is like 1cm above the water on the other side of the tank)
any time you increase the surface area of the water in contact with air you will increase the rate of exchange, and all those little bubbles actually have a decent surface area when you add em all up from the bottom to top of a tall tank.

i actually had to lower the level i filled my tank to cuz all the upward water flow raised the level and it was overflowing out the back of the tank

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got 4 IT's around 4-5'' few bichirs and flagtails, not to much in there it's just that I got a little worried as it got hotter.

So as long as the surface is being agitated I should be good, doesn't need to actually break the surface of the water?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
So as long as the surface is being agitated I should be good, doesn't need to actually break the surface of the water?
you can agitate the surface with fx5 just have the outlet 4" below water level and aim the 2 nozzle up so it can agitate the surface. You only require more oxygen if your temp is above 30C other then that I think your tank is good enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts