British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to blackout my rena xp intake tubes. Is there any paint that is safe to go in a aquarium, or other options?

·
Super Moderator
5,305 Posts
Hello striker.

Krylon Fusion works like a charm on plastic. I've used it on Aquaclear intakes, spraybars, etc. Home Hardware and Canadian Tire both carry it. It is reef safe too :eek: ! Just make sure to let it dry for the alotted cure time.

Best regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
you might be able to just order black tubing, i know you can get black airline tubing. or paint the outsides where its not contacting the water.
i kinda like being able to see thru it when there is algae i need to clean out personally.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Krylon Fusion is excellent as mentioned, but you have to be patient as it requires several coats and enough cure time.

Black vinyl hose looks really smart, prevents algae and is available at any Home Depot and some LFS.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Krylon Fusion is excellent as mentioned, but you have to be patient as it requires several coats and enough cure time.

Black vinyl hose looks really smart, prevents algae and is available at any Home Depot and some LFS.
does it really prevent algae?
interesting, one of the reasons i like mine clear is cause i can see it building up and then have to pinch the hose with my fingers to get it loose and it blows thru, if it was black the stuff wouldnt even attach itself to the walls in there?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
does it really prevent algae?
interesting, one of the reasons i like mine clear is cause i can see it building up and then have to pinch the hose with my fingers to get it loose and it blows thru, if it was black the stuff wouldnt even attach itself to the walls in there?
Algae needs light to survive. No light = no algae.

Of course having black hoses doesn't stop detritus but a big reason why detritus causes clogs is because it gets ensnared in algae. Therefore, no light also = less detritus.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Algae needs light to survive. No light = no algae.

Of course having black hoses doesn't stop detritus but a big reason why detritus causes clogs is because it gets ensnared in algae. Therefore, no light also = less detritus.
yea good point
i think im going to inquire about some teflon tubing to our water sampling group at work on tuesday, that would be awesome, no light + no stick + perfectly safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts