British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am considering buying a second hand aquarium that includes more equipment then I know what to do with. The three components that I would part out are a UV sterilizer, a protein skimmer and a CO2 system (regs 3 tanks, counter).

I have no idea what this stuff is worth used. Does anyone have an idea what I might be able to sell this stuff for?

I can't really afford to keep this equipment based on what the seller wants for the complete set.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mmmm, kind of hard without any info at all about them.
For the UV sterilizer, it depends on how many watts, age, and brand.
Can't help you there on the protein skimmer (that's saltwater stuff). For the Co2 system, again it depends on the equipment.
Co2 tank is steel or aluminium? is it 10 Lbs or 20 Lbs tank, is it filled with Co2 and hydrotested till end of date? is it a complete setup including the Co2 regulator, the bubble counter, the solenoid valve, the needle valve? Do you know the brand of the regulator?

·
Registered
327 Posts
uv sterlizers seem to go for around $50.... if the bulb is working/good. thats what i paid for mine used on here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can browse through big al's on line to see what comparable things go for new and then expect to get 30 to 50% of that depending on the condition of the items.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.
Here is some more details on the equipment :
- Pentair Aquatics (Rainbow Lifegard) 8 Watt UV Sterilizer QL-8
- Sera regulator - the 3 CO2 tanks are 5 lbs each and steel - regulator is brass (regulator, bubble counter, needle valve included).
It is all been used in a freshwater tank.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Welcome to capitalism. There are no "rules" as to how much to price something because the value of an item is what someone is willing to pay to for it. You get a good idea of fair market value by googling around to various places to see how much the stuff sells for brand new. Pete gave you a good general rule of thumb to expect 30-50% of retail on a used sale.

Aside from condition of the items, supply and demand are the two biggest factors that will influence your final sale price. There's generally not a massive demand for the equipment that you've listed as opposed to say, canister filters (which always seem to sell quickly), so you shouldn't expect a big return unless someone out there is desperate for multiple 5 lb CO2 cylinders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts