Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Only when I first set-up my tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states... just curious if pH booster is used everyday, when you first set up your tank, or never.

& State your reasoning why.

I think there is some misunderstanding of what pH booster is, and I'm just trying to get a general feel of what everyone else does.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I found the more I fooled with the water, the more problems I had. Now I do water changes, add some prime and leave it alone. My discus are just fine with this arrangement, and have grown like crazy. The only thing I add to my water is Prime, after a water change, and my plant fertz. I also don't check my levels frequently, not in the last 4-5 months. My fish let me know if something is out of whack.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Mg is magnesium and Ca is calcium... Those are the two main salts in hard and alkaline water.
Unless you are keeping fish that need hard and alkaline water , you really don't need to use " pH booster".
More fish have been killed by people trying to create the "perfect pH" with pH boosters , or lowering products, than by them living in less than "ideal" pH.
If you have very soft and acidic water , you can add a little crushed coral , oyster shell or limestone to the tank to naturally buffer any acidity .

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Mg is magnesium and Ca is calcium... Those are the two main salts in hard and alkaline water.
Unless you are keeping fish that need hard and alkaline water , you really don't need to use " pH booster".
Or you're keeping plants which uptake these components of the water and you're injecting CO2. ;)

There's also this discussion, in case you missed it: http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715

·
Registered
617 Posts
GVRD water is near distilled, it is so low in dissolved minerals. There is no natural buffering to it so pH crashes can happen easily, so some coral or oyster shell will definitely help maintain a steady pH. Most other Water districts use well water that is already medium hard, so normally no further buffering is really needed. I don't know Pitt Meadows water sources , so I can't comment on their water chemistry. I would strongly recommend against pH boosters.. Use a little coral or oyster shell if you need the buffering .

·
Registered
318 Posts
lol..none of the choices fit for me....i use a little when the water ph is kinda outta wack....but most of teh time..i just let the water be

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
For my brackish tank I add baking soda to new fresh water to raise it abit.

The key with PH isn't having the right level, it's maintaining that level. It's the swings in ph that do the most damage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
lol what type of GH booster do you use, and how often?
I use Epsom Salts (Magnesium sulfate) and marine salt (mix of calcium and other minerals) to keep my GH at 15.

For a pH buffer, I use Caribsea Aragonite as a substrate (1.5" depth). Keeps my pH at 8.5 all the time, even after I added a giant piece of driftwood.

I have African cichlids and plecos. All my fish seem to be thriving at these levels.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ditto. i know that our water is very soft and low in GH/KH. I never add anything but whenever I test my water both parameters are off the charts. i'm pretty sure its the substrate and/or rocks i have in there... and the cuttle bone.. and the shells. in any case I think it is a necessary for certain species.

·
Registered
646 Posts
never, in a million years would i buy PH booster, or any other commercially sold buffer. there are plenty of natural ways to buffer our tap water.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts