British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Phew! / Crap!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  keitarosan 
#1 ·
So i was getting ready to setup a 2nd tank, and had gotten a ~35gal (31.5x18x14") off craigslist with lid, light, fluval in-tank filter, heaters & a bunch of misc. stuff for like $30 about a month ago.

I filled the tank with water today to make sure there were no leaks, and after several hours it was all good, so i began to drain the tank so that I could set it up inside and start cycling it. Well, wouldn't you know it... i scooped out some of the water with a bucket, and i guess the force from that caused the glass on the base of the tank to crack causing a huge leak! :mad: I guess the good thing is that it happened outside and not inside :p

Now i have no new tank to setup, and wondering if i should just throw this one out, or if it is worth repairing, and if so how one would do so....?

#3 ·
That sucks big time. Atleast it didn't happen inside :)

When you buy a 2nd hand tank, make sure to look for good silicone. Go through the edges and look for air bubbles inside the silicone. If there are no bubbles, then its good. If you see bubbles, you can expect a leak sooner or later.

Learned this trick from my good friend Bill (Aquaman) :D

As for your current tank, you should be able to re-silicone it.

#4 ·
Repair it and then sell it. If a tank leaks then I think it's never the same again. You'd never know if it will leak or not and it'd be a pain if you have to stripe everything down if it starts to leak after 1 or 2 years of running. Just keep the important stuff and get another tank.

#5 ·
hmm it's not the silicone seal that failed, it was the glass... there is a crack that goes through the whole base panel, and then another crack developed as well. Not sure i could just smear this with silicone, probably need to replace the whole piece and then resilicone the whole tank... a bit more than i'd like to do :p

Attachments

#8 ·
nah... level concrete. it was fine until the first bucket of water i scooped out. I think it must have been weekened, and the pressure from the scoop was enough to 'twist' it and cause the crack. If i just pasted silicone over it, i'm thinking it would likely leak again, since there's like 350+ lbs of water when the tank is filled...

#12 ·
Sell it as a lizard tank, but it's not worth the hassle of repairing it.

#13 ·
i was never a fan or repairing leaky fish tanks. it's not worth it. i say buy a new tank, sell/donate your leaky for reptile use. if it's a 100+ g tank that cost a lot of money. then i'd think of having it repaired professionally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.