British Columbia Aquariums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a Pig Nosed Turtle, around 4 inches. Does anyone have one for sale? I don't want to go to a pet store because they sell for so much.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I am looking for a Pig Nosed Turtle, around 4 inches. Does anyone have one for sale? I don't want to go to a pet store because they sell for so much.
There has been a lot of interest in PNT lately. Anyone interested should research these guys heavily before "jumping in". They do get very large and are illegal to import into Canada. The few around should be housed appropriately for the rare few that are here. Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Very nice turtle, i picked up one last week and they are very nice turtle. They grow slow after 8-10inches so 90 is over kill for the 4" for a couple of years IMHO. GL in finding one!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
fonngg,
Good to hear. I was not singling you out or anything, you just happened to be the one to bring it up most recently. good luck with your search!:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
You will need a 500 gallon tank within 8 years of owning one if you don't bail and get bored. I was probably one of the first to have one in Canada and in 6 years it was 14" and made my 240g look small.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Last week.. YES! They had 4.. a 3" in diamter, two 4" and a 6"! All ranges different price for sized!
Call in advance and ask!
They go by FRT and PNT, so just ask for both, ask they do carry quite a few different species of turtles!

·
Banned
797 Posts
I have considered them many times, but no thanks.

Also, they are CITES class 2, meaning they are legal to import to Canada, but should be certified in their exporting country. No country currently allows exports, so any exported are by default smuggled. they are classified as globally threatened, locally abundant. Australia pushed for the CITES classification over Indonesian objection (where they are locally abundant, especially Irian Jaya). Then the Indonesians decided to not issue permits either, leading to smuggling. I saw many interesting regional variants of this turtle in South East Asia.

In any case, are you really ready to provide this creature the space it needs long term?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Turtles are always a hot topic due to the size most attain and the life span. More and more Fly River Turtles are showing up strangely. The price should not concern anyone looking for one of these beautiful turtles considering the long term care they will require as well as investment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.