British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A Hardy Fish for the Aquarium but Known for its Aggression

Pike Cichlids are becoming very popular in the aquarium trade although they are predators and have a reputation for being incompatible in a community tank.

Pike Cichlids are native to South America and belong to the genus Crenicichla. The majority of the species can be found in rivers and lakes in the Amazon area. They are also found in Colombia, Guyana, and central Argentina but cannot be found west of the Andes.
Pike Cichlid Characteristics

All species of Pike Cichlids have an elongated body and a tapered head with a wide protruding mouth. Larger specimens can grow as long as 24 inches. The dwarf species are usually no longer than three to four inches. Medium-sized Pikes are approximately six to ten inches long.

Dwarf Pike Cichlids are the most colourful of the species and are popular for home aquariums because they don’t require a large tank. Because Pike Cichlids will not show aggression to fish bigger than them, it is easier to choose tank mates for the dwarf varieties.

Pike Cichlids are predators and have a bad reputation for killing other fish and destroying their environment. They like to lurk near rocks or plant roots or substrate and then dash out to catch their prey. Pikes will try to eat smaller fish even if these fish are difficult to swallow.
Pike Cichlid Aquarium Requirements

Dwarf Pike Cichlids can be kept in an aquarium with a minimum capacity of 33 gallons but this is only for peaceful species. More aggressive Dwarf Pikes should be kept in a tank which is no smaller than 55 gallons. Non-dwarf Pike Cichlids need to have a 135 or 200 gallon tank.

A bigger tank is better because Pike Cichlids need lots of hiding places such as rock caves, driftwood, plants and even plastic pipe. It also allows the fish to have more swimming room. Hiding places and plenty of swimming space will help reduce aggression.

The water temperature should be between 73 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit. The idea PH should range from 6.0 to 8.0 and the alkalinity level of 5 to 20 KH.

Pike Cichlids, especially the dwarf varieties, require clean and well-filtered water. Larger fish will soil the water quickly so these aquariums may need two types of filtration. The aquarium should have a tank cover because Pike Cichlids have a tendency to jump.
Feeding Pike Cichlids
Feeding Pikes is not a problem because they will eat anything that is put in the aquarium. They can be fed frozen foods, live bugs or white worms, freeze dried foods like krill, blood worms, beef heart, hamburger pellets plus flake food. Vegetables such as lettuce or zucchini can be used as a supplement in order to give Pike Cichlids a varied and healthy diet.

Before purchasing Pike Cichlids, it is important to research the various species. They can be different. Some can grow to be very large and it’s difficult to tell when most pet stores sell baby fish. They all possess different levels of aggression. If being put into a community tank, it is essential to determine which fish will be suitable tank mates.

Pike Cichlids have a fairly long life span so be prepared to enjoy them for many years.
The copyright of the article How to Care for Freshwater Pike Cichlids in Freshwater Fish is owned by Douglas DuHamel. Permission to republish How to Care for Freshwater Pike Cichlids in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I don't think you can copy and paste from other websites here unless you get permission from the other website
as in plagiarism?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am the writer

i have over 300 articles published on line and in print, I am sorry I offended you. I just thought a on line tropical fish forum would like some published articles. I wont post any more and if you want the two I put up deleted just let me know and Ill take them down.
I am the wrier and own the copy write there were first published on Suite101.com. So I have the right to post the article any where unless you dont want to read fish articles. So really theres no plagiarism

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you own the copy write or have permission then I think it's great for you to post them here, Just didn't want you to take the time to post a bunch of articles that the mods would have to remove

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
i have over 300 articles published on line and in print, I am sorry I offended you. I just thought a on line tropical fish forum would like some published articles. I wont post any more and if you want the two I put up deleted just let me know and Ill take them down.
I am the wrier and own the copy write there were first published on Suite101.com. So I have the right to post the article any where unless you dont want to read fish articles. So really theres no plagiarism
sorry if we offended you.
that was not my intention.
and yes i love reading well written articles about tropical fish so please continue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts