British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets admit this i'm probably the last person to pour cold water on anything that's new or on anything that kickstart new interest in this hobby. well 2 weeks ago i came upon several of those new nutrient gel-grown plants and being a hopeless addict to anything new i bought 4 of them home, dutifully washed out all the gels and planted them in my fertile fish and plant tank. as of now i'm gazing at 4 patches of rotten smelling dead plant patches that i had thought would blossom into something wonderful to look at. have i done something wrong with these plants and does anyone has better success with them than i had?

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your experience.

These gel pack plants are being supplied through Aquaflora Nurseries. You should have no issue growing these plants unless your lighting levels are too low/high for the species, water parameters are wrong, not enough micro or macronutrients are being used, or the plants are lacking a carbon source if needed (CO2 injectiom or Excel/Metricide).

It would be helpful to know your parameters for the above concerns and the type of plants purchased. It is most probably that you were sold the wrong plants given your specific tank's parameters.

Please note: I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is prudent to do research on new plants before buying them (just as one would do for a new fish species).

Respectfully,

Stuart

·
Registered
496 Posts
WHaaat?! Weird... I got some crypt parva in one of those 'aqua-packs' from Aquaflora Nurseries... they were grown in this whitish clear gel so I'll assume it was this nutrient gel you are talking about.

Well the plants never even melted (which is odd for crypts), just settled right in. I'm surprised it went so smoothly lol!

Are you sure the plants you added were compatible with your setup (lighting-wise, etc)? Were you dosing any ferts other than fish poop? And what kind of plants were they? Some (like crypts) will even melt when the temperature or hours of lighting change.

Barring that the only cause I can think of for the death of your plants is that the chlorine in the tap killed the delicate roots... I rinsed a ball of christmas moss under the tap once. 4 days later it was a ball of brown stringy bits. I had no idea tap water could do that, even to moss!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I planted 5 containers' of gel-grown plants about a week ago and most of those plants have doubled their size, or more. All of them look healthy, still.

But I'm wondering if you bought crypts? Another BCA member told me that crypts are sensitive to environmental changes and often melt as soon as they're planted. But he said that if you wait, the crypt will grow back. I did buy one crypt and mine hasn't melted so far, in my low-light tank.

Did you buy crypts? If so, they might grow back nicely. Good luck!

If your issue isn't resolved, just give Tim a call as he knows his plants very well and is helpful. (I haven't met him in person but spoke to him on the phone.) The phone number and email address are on his Aquaflora website.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I love aquaflora and have used almost exclusively his plants in my 250 for the odd balls I have.

PM me and I can give you some Clippings (when I know what will grow in your tank) and you can try again. Its possible if you did not separate the masses and spread them out prior to planting that they suffocated themselves with root mass being so thick?

regardless, I'd love you to try again:) PM me with details of substrate, fert regime,and lighting.

Lisa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts