British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about painting my tank so I want to keep my uarus in a 30 gallon rubber maid for a week, do you think it would be okay if I was running my xp3 in there or would there be too much water flow? Do you think the fish would be okay, even for a couple days in a rubber maid?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
As long as you are running the same filter as the tank they came from I don't see them caring one way or the other. A few days like that won't hurt them at all IMO. I've done it before when I shattered my 10g. Didn't lose one fish. Can you turn down the flow on the xp3?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
should be fine, u can get massive rubbermaid containers too at walmart if u think urs is too small for the xp3 flow

remember this vid posted a while back? all his fish are in similiar containers
YouTube - 1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost

just rinse it really well first, lots of diy aquaculture setups on youtube are using rubbermaid bins and kiddie pools, and they're even eating the fish after :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's a xp3 so it's pretty powerful, and you can't really turn it down, but you are right, i should get a new rubber maid.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
You can turn at XP3 down. There is flow control on the outlet. But no real need. If you're concerned about flow, put filter floss in it and it'll slow down in about 1 day, or use the micro filtration pad. There'll be almost no flow in 2 or 3 days. The filter will work fine, but the flow will be signifcantly impeded.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
I have a spare 20g I think kicking around.

BTW, I jjust spray painted the back of my new tank & it was no prblem. Should take more than a half day to dry if its hot & sunny out.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a great idea about the micro filtration pad, i remember when it was running slow when i had that in there. Awesome. thanks.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It should definitely work fine in a rubbermaid with XP3. If you are too worried about the flow, then you can use a sponge pre-filter (if you have one) or you can also turn the knob near the outlet to limit the force, but I dont really think its necessary.

They would probably like it better in the rubbermaid IMO :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought some water based black paint with a shiny tint too it and I got some sponge brushes :) also going to use vinager and a good sponge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts