British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm setting up a new tank. I've been reading on what kind of sands to use. Any recommendations on whether to use play sand or pool sand? Thank you!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Play sand - a definite NO ! it's asking for trouble.
Pool filter sand - Definitely YES - If you get it from a big box store, as opposed to a pool & spa supply outlet, ensure it's true pool filter sand - usually quartz-based silica - and get 18- to 20 gauge density if available.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Have never tried play sand. Pool filter sand works great for me. It is easy to clean before adding, and my Cories sift through it for food. I put it in only about half an inch deep.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've used play sand for my kids of play with - I wouldn't put it in the fish tank without extensive washing. I use aquaquartz pool filter sand from canadian tire - The grains are nice and rounded which I like for my bottom dwellers - I can put it in the tank with no rinsing, and it doesn't cloud at all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another vote here for pool filter sand. Do not use play sand.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sand blasting sand is supposted to be good as well. I have no personal experience with it, but I have read a few journals where aquarist have used it with success.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts