British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 5 L25 from a reputable dealer from this board about 2 months ago.
Upon receipt, I found one of them doesn't seems to be the right fish while the other 4 are. I PM'd him but he assured that it is L25. Below is the picture I took. There are 2 plecos, the one at the front is a true L25 (to my knowledge. The rear, I suspect it is a L114).
can anyone comment on her identity?
Any comment is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
When I first get this batch of 28 L25. They are all botchy looking like the light color one. As they are more settle in, most of them have turn dark like your front one, your typical L25.

I have already stated my opinion about the fish. I trusted my collector which he never sent me or mix in other fish besides the one I asked to collect. If you look at the pattern of the fish, it doesn't represent a juv. L114. I have a botchy one that grows to 4" now and I will show you a photo of it, this fish is now in my show tank as it outgrows and out eat all the other smaller one. Most people actually prefer them instead of the typical black one as they do not turn as golden according to all the fish I have here, and with my experience.

This photo is taken today for the remaining 8 of the smaller L250 at 2.5"-3"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first get this batch of 28 L25. They are all botchy looking like the light color one. As they are more settle in, most of them have turn dark like your front one, your typical L25.

I have already stated my opinion about the fish. I trusted my collector which he never sent me or mix in other fish besides the one I asked to collect. If you look at the pattern of the fish, it doesn't represent a juv. L114. I have a botchy one that grows to 4" now and I will show you a photo of it, this fish is now in my show tank as it outgrows and out eat all the other smaller one. Most people actually prefer them instead of the typical black one as they do not turn as golden according to all the fish I have here, and with my experience.
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying I don't trust your supplier. However, everyone makes mistakes. This picure was taken when I first got the fish. I was not able to reduce it to the size which allows me to post. Today, I got someone to help so I finally can post it up.
They have settle in my tank and are dong well. More and more I look at it, I just cannot convince myself that it is a L25....From the color, pattern etc....... I don't mean it is for sure a L114.... It just looks like L114 to me. To show it better, I'll take them out to make better pictures.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
No worry. I am open to discussion. I want to have happy customer :)

In my experience, I have imported just about a little under 100 L114 at 2"-2.75". Honestly, they all look something like the photo below in pattern. Very bold black spots. if you look at yours, it is more botchy than spots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Upon receipt, I found one of them doesn't seems to be the right fish while the other 4 are. I PM'd him but he assured that it is L25. Below is the picture I took. There are 2 plecos, the one at the front is a true L25 (to my knowledge. The rear, I suspect it is a L114).
The one on the right, looks very different, looks like L25 cross with ??? = hybrid maybe?
Will it turn black in the near future like the one on the left?

More juvenile pictures in the link below.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=405

·
Registered
8,717 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Looks like two different pleco's for sure, the one is not a L114 though.

Do you know if they are from the same order or collection ?

Can you post a few more pictures of them now,

PM me and or I'll forward you my email address, I can size the pictures to any size and have a better look. I'll get you more information from my other sites, these do look like two different fish for sure,
but sometimes they are blotchy when there maturing up and there are variations but this is unusual

Please send me some other pictures, so we can figure this out.

John

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
John. If you want to see the rest of the same batch with the botchy as well as the dark one and one golden one which diet mainly on carrot, you are more than welcome to come and see them in person.

Before nyone future guessing what the questionable fish might be, itis a pseuda.. so we wont have to guess like the MFK link comparing a sabaji to l114 pseuda.

I can ensure you this batch is from the same order and location. Many people from USA to CANADA has bought L25 from me. And none so far has any worry about a wrong fish yet.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Just trying to figure this out Charles

Just the picture the OP put up look very different
not slamming anyone, but trying to help ID a fish

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like this topic is heating up. Don't be too defensive. I am not trying to blame anyone. Just want to ID the fish. I will take them out tomorrow to take good photo to post up again.
Have a good night everyone.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I managed to catch 4 out including the questionable fish.The darker fishes are those I believe are real L25. They ligher color with dots is the one in question. Pictures were taken under natural light. I have the group picture as well as individuals. Again, I can't convince myself they are the same fish. Hope to get some honest comments here.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Thank you for posting the photo. I know this is not a L114. I can assure you that.

After looking at those photo, i actually think I might have sent you a L273 especially judging by the second photo. Both were come in at the same time from the same collector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for posting the photo. I know this is not a L114. I can assure you that.

After looking at those photo, i actually think I have sent you a L273 especially judging by the second photo. Both were come in at the same time from the same collector.
I am glad that you finally admitted this is not a L25.
It is actually a L273 or L114 is not the main issue. The bottom line is I was buying L25 and it was what I want..... Not L273 or L114. What you think you can you do about this?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
It is important to know what L# as L273 is actually a higher price fish. I sold out all L273 but i have some l25 left.

Here is what i can offer
1) i can give you some credit. Say $30
2) if you insist on exchange the fish, send it back at your cost. I will send you another L25 at my cost to you. Assuming your fish comes alive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.