British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have noticed some definate learned ability in mine. Especially my common actually.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
They learn where the food is, which fish are their competitors. They also learn to swim upside down so that they can get to the fish first. Mine also seem to recognize me vs. my wife and children, for instance. What have you observed in yours?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I totally agree in the stuff wheels reported. I definately notice how my bigger plecos react to different people. My housekeeper feeds my fish when I am working out of town, but not when I am at home. They still attempt to beg for food when she comes near for a few weeks after I come home.
they arent afraid of my son but my neighbours or other friends frighten them horribly.
they ignore me unless I go near the shelf where the food is first haha.
they appear to be observing what goes on around them all the time. they are good at knowing when they can be seen and when they are hidden.
thats just off the top of my head.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Mine tries to jump out of the tank every time I feed it.
MY BNP just figured out how to crawl into my sponge filter and back out. amazing

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mine little albino sure is very smart. He/she knows when feeding time is and where exactly to look for the shrimp pellets. Also second day I had him/her he climbed up to my filter. I found him/her there when I got back from work and now he/she stays in the tank ever since. Learned the lesson for sure. Must have been pretty scared in small dark place poor little thing :eek:) He is only over 1" long now

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Mine tries to jump out of the tank every time I feed it.
MY BNP just figured out how to crawl into my sponge filter and back out. amazing
one of mine keeps doing that too, it seems to really like it in there with all those bubbles blowing past it lol, and he spins around the tube really fast while upside down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts