British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Some are smart and some are not as smart. It varies from species to species. But since they live a long time and some grow to a great size, they obviously have to be fairly intelligent to get to that size in the wild.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
They learn where the food is, which fish are their competitors. They also learn to swim upside down so that they can get to the fish first. Mine also seem to recognize me vs. my wife and children, for instance. What have you observed in yours?

·
Registered
743 Posts
I totally agree in the stuff wheels reported. I definately notice how my bigger plecos react to different people. My housekeeper feeds my fish when I am working out of town, but not when I am at home. They still attempt to beg for food when she comes near for a few weeks after I come home.
they arent afraid of my son but my neighbours or other friends frighten them horribly.
they ignore me unless I go near the shelf where the food is first haha.
they appear to be observing what goes on around them all the time. they are good at knowing when they can be seen and when they are hidden.
thats just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mine little albino sure is very smart. He/she knows when feeding time is and where exactly to look for the shrimp pellets. Also second day I had him/her he climbed up to my filter. I found him/her there when I got back from work and now he/she stays in the tank ever since. Learned the lesson for sure. Must have been pretty scared in small dark place poor little thing :eek:) He is only over 1" long now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.