British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been 7 hrs since power went out and I'm now really worried about my tanks.. How do you guys cope with this??

Lesson learned: get a battery powered air pump..

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Temperature isn't too cold now but when it's winter how do you deal with it?
Make sure tank lids are tight. Since all you can do is limit heat loss. Maybe use foam board to cover the glass as much as possible.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BC hydro just released estimated time.. IT'S NOT UNTIL 12PM TOMORROW!!!! I have 5 tanks ( 1 salt).. I'm in panic mode now... I just checked temps of all tank. They all around 80F now.. which one should I worry more? Temp or oxygenation? ?? Ahhhh!!! I hope my trophs, apistos, angels, corals gonna be ok

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Temperature isn't too cold now but when it's winter how do you deal with it?
Worse case scenario, I would take out potfuls of sw from my reef tanks and boil them on the burners on my 2 Weber Genesis bbqs outside and then slowly add the heated sw to my sumps to keep them warm. Make sure the container is made of inert materials (i.e. like ceramic corning ware)

However, I would just fire up my portable generator and plug in a couple of power bars for the tanks so each tank of my 3 main has at least one powerhead and a 100w heater going. I also have about 10 x 8'x2' sheets of styrofoam insulation sheets in my backyard storage area and would wrap up my tanks to preserve any heat energy. These extreme measures would only be taken if I knew it was going to be more than say 6 hours without power and could be a day or more. If its shorter, then the UPS would suffice.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
BC hydro just released estimated time.. IT'S NOT UNTIL 12PM TOMORROW!!!! I have 5 tanks ( 1 salt).. I'm in panic mode now... I just checked temps of all tank. They all around 80F now.. which one should I worry more? Temp or oxygenation? ?? Ahhhh!!! I hope my trophs, apistos, angels, corals gonna be ok

Most fish will die from oxygen deprivation way before temperature drops would affect them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Most fish will die from oxygen deprivation way before temperature drops would affect them.
Agree totally. I read somewhere that somebody used a paint stirrer attached to his battery operated drill to oxygenate his tanks during a long power outage. Kept his batteries charging at home nearby where power was on, while using the charged batteries sporadically to keep his tanks going.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Uhhhh doing same as you all just woke up to refill gas gen set. Extension cords running all over the place. Best wishs to everyone hoping we all weather this storm the best we can :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Went for 9+hrs without power yesterday.
Did a 50% WC about 4yrs in, and everything turned out fine. No losses.
Luckily I've cleaned all my canisters about a week ago so they're all relatively clean.

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,288 Posts
But a battery operated air pump 10.00 online

·
Registered
57 Posts
What I did was I grabbed a bicycle pump and attached it to my air tubes and started pumping for 10-30 minutes every hour or so. Was getting paranoid after the 10th hour when my rainbows stopped moving around and I ended up sleeping beside my tank pumping air continuously till I passed out ( I know they were probably going to be fine but I was paranoid haha)

Yeah I should get a battery air pump too

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Power came back on early this morning.. everything is ok except flame angel in my saltwater tank..
Are you guys all ok with your fishes?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts