British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost a cory today to the intake of my maxijet 900 powerhead... poor little got sucked right into it. Are there any recommended ways to protect the fish from the intake suction? I'm thinking of getting some mesh to put around it, but not sure whats aquarium safe...

Thanks (RIP Feldman)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was just a baby cory... had lots of fun swimming in the new current, but got a little too daredevilish i guess. A small snail got in there too, but i was able to get him out safely. i'll try the pantyhose idea - thanks! :)

Yes, the other is named Haim... they are my "two cory's" i'm waiting for him to OD on shrimp pellets hehehehe

Feldman just got replaced yesterday with Feldman II

·
Registered
743 Posts
:) Though my understanding is that usually fish do not get stuck in intakes, unless they're already very weak (sick).
Cory cats do, they are just brain dead for getting sucked into stuff, I can barely even keep them out of my gravel vac

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
arg... just lost another cory to the intake... i had hidden it in plants to keep the fish away, but the cory's love darting around in the current and i guess this one got too close. Took an aircanada headphone sponge and a rubberband and put it over the intake, but i'm not sure it's cory-proof yet... :/ I'll check out those prefilters @ PS tomorrow.

·
Registered
743 Posts
get creative with some stuff at rona or home depot, or youtube diy poerhead filters and you will get the idea. Lots of possibilities

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Just take a piece of filter foam that's the right size or cut a bigger block down to size and cut an "X" in where you want to insert the intake. Done. The foam blocks for the Aquaclear filters are cheap, but they are white. I ended up finding some black foam and that worked out well. As others have said, get creative. You can even use a piece of black window screen material and just slip it over the intake with a rubber band holding it tight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts