British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to decide between an aqueon500 and rioplus1400. anyone using either of these in their tanks? it will be for my clown loaches and plecos, to give them some water movement.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I would get a maxijet and add the sure flow accelerator kit (new propeller). Even a maxijet 400 will get you 1300gph based on their specs with the kit. A maxijet 400 is under 20 bucks and so is the sure flow kit. $40 bucks total. The larger maxijets are not much more money if you want to really crank up the flow to well over 2000gph. The great part of using the maxijets is their low power consumption and quietness too. I will be trying the kit soon as I have alot of maxijets already and they are very reliable.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I have tons of Koralias too. Only thing I don't like about them is that they are quite bulky in the tank. With the magnet and arm, the thing sticks way out into the tank. Also occasionally, the impeller stops. But I do like the diffuse flow aspect and low power consumption. With the maxijets, they just run and run reliably. I did upgrade mine with a magnet mount. So much better than darn suction cups.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the Rio 1400 on my UV unit. It is big (almost 4x as big as the 600/800 series) and sucks one heck of a lot of power (26 watts).

On the other hand the new Hydor Koralia Evolution is rated for the same flow (425 GPH) and uses 3.5 watts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would get a maxijet and add the sure flow accelerator kit (new propeller). Even a maxijet 400 will get you 1300gph based on their specs with the kit. A maxijet 400 is under 20 bucks and so is the sure flow kit. $40 bucks total. The larger maxijets are not much more money if you want to really crank up the flow to well over 2000gph. The great part of using the maxijets is their low power consumption and quietness too. I will be trying the kit soon as I have alot of maxijets already and they are very reliable.
is this the kit your talking about? http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp-mpsf1600/Algae+Free+Sure+Flow+1600+Maxi-Jet+Upgrade+Kit.html

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the maxijet with kit sounds good :) think ill get the 1200. thanks to you all.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yup, that's the kit. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts