British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.
I'm much more of a salty but I do have a sweet little 20 long planted tank that I keep CRS in.
I recently saw a small puffer in a freshwater system and would love one...

Can anyone reccommend a good puffer for a 20 gallon breeder tank that is planted and has CRS in it....or school me on why it's a bad idea..:D

The tank is heated and has very moderate flow and filtration.

Thanks kindly.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
well my first question is what is a CRS?? if its a shrimp then it will be eaten right away.

·
Registered
496 Posts
LOL!!! Not a good idea my friend... unless you want to watch helplessly as a tiny puffer tears all your CRS to shreds as soon as you put him in the tank :eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in my limited research, I have seen and read of systems with both shrimp and puffers..
is this an anomaly?

Like a coral eating species who doesn't touch coral in a reef tank?

What are the chances of a larger shrimp or the CRS population maintaining the puffers appetite?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
in my limited research, I have seen and read of systems with both shrimp and puffers..
is this an anomaly?

What are the chances of a larger shrimp or the CRS population maintaining the puffers appetite?
The chances are slim to done. Same as leaving me in a kitchen of a steak house.

·
Registered
474 Posts
well i would say its a major risk however im currently keeping my pea puffers with yellow shrimp. when you add the shrimp its scary as hell but i have had 3 different sets of pea puffers none have eaten a single shrimp. i wouldnt recomend doing it at all if you were planning on breeding the shrimp. i have had a few babies survive to a size where they are no longer looked at as food but i also do have a pretty heavily planted tank. what ever your decision good luck and only add one shrimp the first time you try, and not your favourite one first.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I read a lot on here about people doing research. I wonder about the research sometimes. What you read on the internet is not always right. When I look something up, I read as many sources as possible. You can then start to weed out the incorrect info. It is a good thing you asked here first. I'm with the majority, don't do it, and no the shrimp population probably can't maintain it. I don't know enough about puffers, but I do have a species of fish that doesn't know enough to stop eating when it has enough. I often don't stop eating when I should either. I think i'll join Grant and Ben in the kitchen of the steak house.

is this an anomaly?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
well i would say its a major risk however im currently keeping my pea puffers with yellow shrimp. when you add the shrimp its scary as hell but i have had 3 different sets of pea puffers none have eaten a single shrimp. i wouldnt recomend doing it at all if you were planning on breeding the shrimp. i have had a few babies survive to a size where they are no longer looked at as food but i also do have a pretty heavily planted tank. what ever your decision good luck and only add one shrimp the first time you try, and not your favourite one first.
Wow, that's amazing. Yes it could be the plant cover and the fact that the puffers are tiny but wow, I would not think you could get away with that. Interesting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
puffers

Puffers...cute faces on small Great White Sharks...wouldnt mix them with anything else. Name your shrimps Sushi, Tempura, Yakisoba, Tandori.....

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wow, that's amazing. Yes it could be the plant cover and the fact that the puffers are tiny but wow, I would not think you could get away with that. Interesting.
i know it was actually a last min thing i had abosultly no where for them to go it was either the heavily planted dwarf puffer tank or the less planted discus i figured the puffers had smaller mouths :p but still have all the shrimp i put in there so i guess it was a good choice. what also makes it weird is when i through a few snails in there every once in a while the snails get ripped to pieces!

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
I got a pea puffer in with my CRS and cherry shrimp, and a shit load of snails, and i have never seen him go after any shrimp. Maybe he gets the odd baby?? but never seen him attack anything other then a snail

·
Registered
925 Posts
I got a pea puffer in with my CRS and cherry shrimp, and a shit load of snails, and i have never seen him go after any shrimp. Maybe he gets the odd baby?? but never seen him attack anything other then a snail
LMAO!!!
Well shut my mouth!!!!!
Cheers!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
My kids decided they wanted put a pea puffer in one of my tanks. I have a bunch of Cherries shrimps in the tank and its med-heavily planted. The puffer would ignore them...even the smaller ones. I see the puffer a couple of times a week.

·
Registered
700 Posts
BAD IDEA x100 especially on expensive shrimp like CRS!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
The chances are slim to done. Same as leaving me in a kitchen of a steak house.
That just cracked me up LOL!!!

nyways, i wouldn't risk it. Specially when crs are like $5 a pop lols. I would do a regular cherry puffer if you really want it that bad, regular cherries are dirt cheap and breeds like there is no tomorrow LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts