British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

my puffer fish is not looking so good! the guy who sold it to me said it was ick?? it has some stuff?, haha. little bits of something all over its body and fins? i have no idea what it is. can anyone tell me more please?

thank you so much!!

johnny

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
hi everyone

my puffer fish is not looking so good! the guy who sold it to me said it was ick?? it has some stuff?, haha. little bits of something all over its body and fins? i have no idea what it is. can anyone tell me more please?

thank you so much!!

johnny
the guy sold it to you with ich? Hmmm... anyhow, use quick cure medication half dose. Johnnyfishtank just went through that and it works great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ive used jungle ick cure for scaleless fish at a half does with success but my puffers always seem to be a little stressed, so i think ill try quick cure next time but hopefully i wont have to....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a lot everyone! the temp. is at 79 right now, and he lives with two plecos and a red tail skark. sorry no pics.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
(Increasing the temperature will prevent the reproduction cycle of the ich, and at 86 degrees I believe it actually kills the free floaters).

·
Registered
327 Posts
increasing the temperature actually speeds up the life cycle of ich and without treatment will just compound the problem.

post photos or use an online guide ( such as this ) to confirm that it is actually ich.

all puffers are highly salt tolerant, and salt is effective against ich, but I am not sure about your other fish. You are going to need to treat sooner rather than later though because your other fish will get infected also.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
you can get the schedule and dosage off from Johnnyfishtank. I gave him what I like to use when my customers had ich and it works very well. He also has puffer and other fish with the tank. Quick cure did it and cure it in 7 days. But I still recommand doing a full 14 days treatment.

I don't believe in just raising the temperature and salt myself. Medication and UV is best.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
increasing the temperature actually speeds up the life cycle of ich and without treatment will just compound the problem.

post photos or use an online guide ( such as this ) to confirm that it is actually ich.

all puffers are highly salt tolerant, and salt is effective against ich, but I am not sure about your other fish. You are going to need to treat sooner rather than later though because your other fish will get infected also.
Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

ich dies at 89.5F, raising to 90 would kill it
need to raise it high enough or ya itl just speed it up, however if theres other fish in the tank unaffected 86F prevents them from contracting it

"It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4°C/85°F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30°C/86°F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32°C/89.5°F (Meyer, 1984),"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts