British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is basically what's been on my mind most of this afternoon, should i set-up a quarantine tank for new arriving fishes that i'm planning to put into my main tank, put new fishes in, and wait for 3-4 weeks to see if their healthy or not... or just put the bag in for 15-1 hour for the temperatures to be similiar then release the new fishes. I'm planning to buy just tetra's and i've never set up a quarantine tank for new fishes what so ever and no illnesses ever broke out in my tank.. but i'm just asking to be on the safe side. any advice would be much appreciated :D

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
Well that's really your call. Are you keeping guppies.. or 1000$ fish that your worried about risking?

If your asking and WANTING to be on the safe side, then quarantine them.

If you dont care about losing the fish if something DID happen, then dont..

I have been in the hobby for about 7 years and had my share of deaths, but never ever did a quarantine, but then again the fish i kept were not that $$$

You might re consider quarantine new arrivals when you are keeping fish that cost you a good paycheque or 2..

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
what fish do you have, does the place you get them from have a history of unhealthy fish, how is their supplier? These are all the questions that dictate if it matters.

If you plan on using medication to target one fish, then by all means, quarantine tank, if you dont plan on medicating and let nature decide, then why bother? The majority of fish i have kept have been under $10 though, so my opinion is weighted by that.

Personally im more concerned with shock killing new fish im adding, so i go beyond whats necessary to introduce it. The way i do it takes around 2 hours before the fishies are swimming free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a have a 50 gal with fancy guppies, tetra's(, glowlight, neon, cardinal, black neon), baby angels (i know.. going to get a bigger tank for them later on) , platies, mollies, well over 25 fishes... but the reason i'm asking because i'm going to get a large group of lemon tetra's (10 or 12) and i have never bought a group that large.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
the only thing i would use a quarantine tank for personally.. i would agree with neven would be for dosing meds..

Much easier to dose a 10 gal then a 75 gal.. :0

·
Registered
496 Posts
Good call on setting up the QT tank... I have brought a lot of crap down on myself by not quarantining fish. I think the risk is even higher with common fish like goldfish, neon tetras, etc. because they are either wild caught (carrying all the nasties from the great outdoors) or mas produced in insanitary conditions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts