British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling nostalgic for the days as a preschooler when my dad kept a guppy tank for us, I bought a beautiful pair yesterday. They seemed to settle in nicely. The embers and pygmy cories seemed to school a little tighter, and the ottos were a little more active than usual. I went to sleep. I woke up this morning and couldn't find the female anywhere. Looked through the plants, looked through the filter, looked on the counter around the tank, and then finally found her crispy corpse on the floor. My preschooler cried. The male is now harassing the embers.

So... What do I do now?

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
not much. Even with the female in the tank, the male will still harass other fish if he chooses to. You can get another female for the tank and perhaps drop the water level a bit so it wont jump again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having never had a fish jump before I looked into it. Guppies can jump 7x their body length at a speed of 4 feet/second. So I would need to lower the water level an awful lot.

I bought them from Aquariums West and got the only female they had for sale. I guess I'm on the lookout for a nice blue snakeskin or Moscow female.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, the lid is on. What a drag.

Does anyone know where I can get a blue Moscow or variegated snakeskin something-or-other female from?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Show Quality Blue Moscow Deltas. What is the temp of your tank? Guppies can adjust to many conditions. My tanks are anywhere from 76-80, depending on the age of the fish. I put equlibrium in the tank to harden the water and a little salt. Cories do not like salt but it is not necessary. I also have HB Blue Deltas and HB Red Ribbons. My number is 604-532-8670 home 778-549-5656 cell. Call me if you would like some beautiful fish!!!! Lots of females too...lol...like 100!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! I just PM'd you. And the temperature is around 80-81 in the summer and then around 77-80 in the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts