British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing through the LFS today to see if there was any interesting fish I could add to my already eclectic tank and I found the most beautiful Oscar. He is about 2"+ long and has a perfect "V" torn from his tail. I just had to have him.

My question about Oscars is do they jump? As soon as I got home I started furiously looking up information on them and one site mentioned that they are aggressive jumpers so to make sure to have a very secure lid. Is that right?

I'll get some pics up :)

Currently, he is choking back a 1" fish...I wonder if he still thinks that was a good idea.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oscars certainly can jump out of their tank. I lost one of my Oscars that way some years ago, found him on the rug all dried up.:(

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oscars certainly can jump out of their tank. I lost one of my Oscars that way some years ago, found him on the rug all dried up.:(
I have a solid glass top but I would be more than happy to add some sort of reenforcement if it is necessary.

Pics will be up in just a minute! When I get him to hold still. Oh, and that fish is still hanging out his mouth which leads me to admitting that it is one of Charles' equas:eek:

It had a good life. It's just too bad that the endlers were quicker:eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wicked tail, eh ;)

If any of you keep Oscars (petlaur?) do you add additional closures? For example, baby fridge locks. Or am I going overboard, lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had many oscars in the past. In my experience they only jump when there's food presented to them. Never found an oscar dried up on the floor before. I have however had a few jump out of the tank while I was feeding them.

If you have a glass lid that should be sufficient IMHO.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had many oscars in the past. In my experience they only jump when there's food presented to them. Never found an oscar dried up on the floor before. I have however had a few jump out of the tank while I was feeding them.

If you have a glass lid that should be sufficient IMHO.
Excellent, good to know :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
hmm, i just wonder if the tail is actually suppose to be like that or he sustained an injury and it just healed that way

still cool though

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wicked tail, eh ;)

If any of you keep Oscars (petlaur?) do you add additional closures? For example, baby fridge locks. Or am I going overboard, lol.
Sophie, from my experience and having one of my Oscars jump out when I was out and not feeding him I can only conclude that he might have seen something from above and thinking that it maybe food, he jumped. This was awhile back but I think he was able to jump through a gap somewhere between the lid and the tank frame. Don't think you need to go overboard but it would be wise to remember to have the lid closed and secure especially when you're not around.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm, i just wonder if the tail is actually suppose to be like that or he sustained an injury and it just healed that way

still cool though
There are two others that were in the tank with him with the same colouration and they had full tails. I had considered that because it is a perfect "V" shape though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sophie, from my experience and having one of my Oscars jump out when I was out and not feeding him I can only conclude that he might have seen something from above and thinking that it maybe food, he jumped. This was awhile back but I think he was able to jump through a gap somewhere between the lid and the tank frame. Don't think you need to go overboard but it would be wise to remember to have the lid closed and secure especially when you're not around.
I read that it has been observed that they mistake falling condensation for food and lunge for it resulting in them banging into the lid. I will certainly keep it in mind as he gets bigger to make sure there are no problems.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
very nice colours would be interested to see how he looks in about 6 mnths.
and yes oscars do jump..
my wifes jump right out of the water at feeding time.lol
also have found on floor all dried up in years past.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW. Thx for the pics. Your Oscar is very cute!:)
You're very welcome :) I will try to get some better pics tomorrow so the flash doesn't effect the outcome so much.

very nice colours would be interested to see how he looks in about 6 mnths.
and yes oscars do jump..
my wifes jump right out of the water at feeding time.lol
also have found on floor all dried up in years past.
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's Oscars! I will certainly be making a point of feeding him carefully.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with everyone, Sophie - that's a very cute little oscar you've got there. Good luck with him.
Thank you :)

I've already removed some breeding pairs of endlers from the tank as well as the remaining equas. I love having multiple tanks! lol

He is a little hunter so I know what you mean Gary! No little guys in this tank from now on. Silver dollars are suggested tank mates so they will be okay but the apistos are a worry so I'll keep my eye on them. Do you know how they are with bottom dwellers? I have 3 ottos, 6 archer cories, and 1 tiger panaque in the tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts