British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm hoping you folks can help me out with a couple GBR questions. I have a 55 gallon planted tank (fairly heavy planting but not grown in yet) with 4 coconut caves and a little over filtered with an aqua clear 70 and a 10 gallon HOB, both packed with sponge only. Currently in the tank are 3 young angels, 5 ottos, 2 young bushy noses and 2 young (about 3-4 month) German rams. I am probably going to get rid of the angels (very pretty and up for a great price by the way) and I am picking up 3 wild caught GBRs (I'm guessing adult) on the weekend. I also plan to eventually add some celestial danios, some mystery snails and 2 or 3 more ottos. My questions are
1.without the angels, how many GBRs do you think can happily live in that size tank with the other proposed tank mates? Is five too much? Would I get away with 6?
2 Do you think I would get away with keeping the angels along with 5 GBRs?
3. Should I choose to add cherry shrimp would they likely be safe with the GBRs? (I think it's safe to assume the angels would hunt them)

Any and all advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
379 Posts
1.I think depends on how many male and female you get in trun of GBR. I know I can have up to 3 GRB in 20 gallon tank. (1 male and 2 female.)5 or even 6 should be ok as long as you limited number of males.

2.Angel and Ram will fight territory once them grow up. 3 Angel and 5 GBR most likely too much. Base on Aqadvisor you can do 3 angel and 3 GBR. (again base on how many male you have.)

3.I read that Sherry shrimps will be easy snack for the GBR. Maybe you can do it if it is really heavy planted with shrimp friendly plants and you allow the shrimps to establish the colony first. (If you have over 100 cherry in the tank you probably won't worry about GBR ate 1 or 2.)

Fish will eat anything that fit in their mouth. I don't think it is good idea to mix Celestial Danios (galaxy rasbora) with Angel consider Celestial danios max size is about 1 inch, they will be easy and expensive snacks for the angels.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I would not keep the angel if you want to have breeding behavior and safe-r baby raising by the GBR.

In a 55g, I assume it is a 48" long tank, you can even do 12 GBR if it is heavily planted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great information guys, thanks so much for the responses. And thanks for the tip on aquadvisor, looks like a very handy sight. Angels are being traded to LFS on Friday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts