British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the new place we have the upstairs and the bro inlaw and his gf have the downstairs, I have a couple of options as to where to put my 135g tank. It can go in the foyer or upstairs. Here are the questions:D

1. The foyer is ceramic tile, is placing a 135g and all its weight on it a bad idea?

2. With upstairs is a 135g too heavy for the floor and also how do you tell which way the joists are running so I can place it properly across them and not with them?

My other option is to put it in the garage, it's insulated but I know if it's in there I won't get to enjoy it like I would upstairs in the living room.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
I always tell people to place the tanks, if possible, where you can enjoy them on a regular basis. In the foyer, are you really going to sit in front of the tank for any length of time? And in the garage, will you want to spend time away from your family and sit inside the garage by yourself? Unless you do want to have your tank time as your quiet time, place it upstairs where you can all sit around and enjoy watching the fish.

Find a load bearing wall and see if there is a closet or some other place downstairs where you can see the joists and place tank perpendicular to the joists. You can also add a sheet of plywood under the stand for added spreading of the weight.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Are the ceramic tiles on the slab or are they on a sub-floor? I'm only spectulating but I would think that could make a difference.?. I agree with S_F - try and put it where you'll enjoy it most... What type of flooring in in the living room? I've been told that hardwood flooring is often installed perpendicular to the joists - that's probably not a gaurantee though so even if it means going down stairs and opening a ceiling to find out for sure I'd do it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just talked to a contractor buddy of mine and he said typically joists will run the shortest distance. The flooring in the living room is carpet. This is probably where I will put it, he is in my living room now and I would like him to be there at the new place, just not looking forward to gettin his tank up the stairs lol.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I spend most of my time on the computer at home in front of the t.v., You gotta have your fish where you can watch them, just love it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't you worry buddy!!!!! We'll get it in there where you can enjoy it no matter what! Even if we have to add a post down stairs to take the weight transfer. The plywood first to distribute the weight a little and some support down below and it really doesn't matter which way the floor runs. but if we can figure out a load bearing wall and place it against that we should be in the best spot. That's how I have mine and no problems over the last couple of years.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Can't you use a stud finder and run it across the area. You should be able to figure out the layout of the supporting joists underneath.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts