British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a question. Is there away to raise your own bloodworms. Do they lay eggs or something and you just hatch them yourselves. If os what to you need to raise them?

·
Registered
614 Posts
They are mosquito larva. It would require you to breed mosquitos and them harvest their larva. Breeding mosquitos is easy, an open and still source of water outside will do it. Personally, i'll stick to buying it frozen.

Steve

·
Registered
700 Posts
x2 you would need the bloodworms to turn into mosquitoes to reproduce.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Doesn't sound like a great idea to me considering the issues you would have by purposely breeding mosquitoes in your home. Even if you could contain it somehow. Seems iffy to me especially since frozen bloodworms are readily available and have been processed to rid it of any pathogens. The Hikari ones are even fortified with vitamins.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
O.O I would not do it for a million dollars! LOL! The thought of having them escape in my house!

·
Registered
646 Posts
breed red wigglers, much easier and more nutritious. frozen blood worms are mostly made up of moisture(water) and have very little protein. if u don't believe me read the guaranteed analysis on the packaging.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Just buy live California blackworms, cleaner and more nutritious for the fish. If your fish are big enough and you feed lots of live food, then I would agree, get a worm composter and breed your own red wrigglers. I'm thinking about doing that later this year.

·
Registered
358 Posts
ditto on the "just buy them". In nature, Bloodworms like at the bottom of lakes and rivers in the mud. I'm not sure how they raise them commercially, but it involves mud, adult flying chironomids, and some kind of sifting process. Not a "DIY" in the garage. I think the idea of raising worms is good and eco-friendly.

my 2cents

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I think if somebody was able to do this in their garage, this would be something I'd like to see. LOL. That would be a heck of a DIY.

·
Registered
346 Posts
wow i have some mosquitoes larvaes sitting outside in a bucket lol.. soo gross.. i was going to dump them out of the water but maybe i should feed em to my fish.. wonder if their safe enough.. who knows how long this bucket has been sitting there. i geuss its all rain water thats been sitting there for some time. then some how some mosquitoes came and laid their eggs in the bucket?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK thanks for the advice. Also can the earthworms found in the mud of your backyard be fed to cichlids? Would it be the same as feeding blood worms or any other worms? I just have to much to ask but another question would be what would be something easy to raise to feed your cichlids? because I simply like doing these kind of projects. =)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
if you look in a bucket or puddle sitting in your yard for a long time..you can see some. sticking up out of the mud. they arent mosqitoes..they are midge fly larvae.
no reason to raise..bloodworms are available. hikari ones are the best..triple sterilized and vitamins added.
but yes red wigglers are the best..but too big for alot of fish. you need to chop them all up..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do not feed earthworms from mud, to your fishies!!
To raise bloodworms suitable for fish to eat.. set out a bucket or bowl of water, let it get a bit green and stagnant and the mosquitoes will come and do their thing. You will see tiny egg rafts, that look like a chip of a leaf floating on the water, but if you look closely, they're all lined up like little soldiers!! They will hatch, and you'll have little wigglers swimming in 'S' shapes.
When you give them to your fish, make sure most of them are eatten, or actually net them out of your aquarium, after a few days, before they get too big. You do not want mosquitos hatching in the house...
I was thinking of actually doing it myself, as I just inspected my gross pond and they're everywhere... it is that time of year... I guess.. :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
those from above ^, are actually mosquito larva.

most people actually have soil in their back yards, not mud. But since you are in Richmond, mud is a possibility, maybe the dike in your area is leaking ...

but, yes red wriggles from the soil are a good food for fish. you can find them easily in areas with lots of decomposing organics like compost piles. otherwise leave them in a container with damp paper towel overnight so that all of the soil that is inside of them passes.

another feeder project that you may want to consider is marbled crayfish. they reproduce readily and are not a lot of work.

OK thanks for the advice. Also can the earthworms found in the mud of your backyard be fed to cichlids? Would it be the same as feeding blood worms or any other worms? I just have to much to ask but another question would be what would be something easy to raise to feed your cichlids? because I simply like doing these kind of projects. =)

·
Registered
743 Posts
breed red wigglers, much easier and more nutritious. frozen blood worms are mostly made up of moisture(water) and have very little protein. if u don't believe me read the guaranteed analysis on the packaging.
Ditto on the red wigglers. I have a really nice colony and the juvenile worms are easy for almost any size fish to eat.
Good way to get rid of household waste

www.cityfarmer.org/wormcomp61.html

One of many websites available on how to get started.

If you decide to use earthworms (from the garden or wiggler colony) ditto on the paper towel trick. This is supposed to reduce the risk of parasites.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts