British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more dyed or painted fish!!!!!!

Although I have enforced this for years, we are putting together a promotion to educate our customers on the cruelty of this practice.
For those who may not know, the practice of dyeing and painting fish is barbaric and results in high mortality in the subject fish.

Painted Glass fish are bathed in a chemical, stripping them of their slime coat and later injected with fluorescent dye and sold. Mortality is high on the fish and the majority break down due to secondary infection. Hobbyists purchase these fish everyday without knowing the truth of the process or that there is a "process" at all.
The same goes for dyed fish that go through a similar torture. This includes fruit tetras, Raspberry plecos etc. Tattooed fish are the latest craze hitting the market. Together we can help to eliminate this part of the trade in BC. Through awareness, you can send your message to all the LFS you see promoting this practice. If more people were aware of the process, they would not purchase the fish in the first place.
Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
=) And i thought you were being an angry Grant! LOL! Glad you're trying to do something! =)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really glad that you're doing this. Dying fish is barbaric. And tattooing?? I can't even imagine!
Farms over seas were actually doing custom tattooing for wholesalers and retailers. Imagine a kissing gourami with IPU on the side. Classy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
this kind of thing is especially sad because a healthy undyed Chanda glassfish is such a cool looking fish... someone had to go and kill it with neon paint...

·
Super Moderator
5,278 Posts
I have never purchased painted, dyed, or tattooed fish. Please note that Glo-fish (zebra danios in very bright colouring) are a genetic alteration that gives them colouring. They are a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) and not tortured. But then again I wouldn't buy these altered fish either. I am also not a fan of Parrot, Kirin, and other hybrid fish either. I did get some free gupplers (as dither fish) but I will not sell them as an ornamental fish, but when overrun I might sell them as feeders ;). Good project to work on, Grant.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I'm glad that you're doing this as well. I think that dying/tattooing fish is incredibly cruel. Awhile ago I saw a white Parrotfish in a LFS that had been tattooed with blue & purple diamond shapes on its sides ...it looked absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never purchased painted, dyed, or tattooed fish. Please note that Glo-fish (zebra danios in very bright colouring) are a genetic alteration that gives them colouring. They are a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) and not tortured. But then again I wouldn't buy these altered fish either. I am also not a fan of Parrot, Kirin, and other hybrid fish either. I did get some free gupplers (as dither fish) but I will not sell them as an ornamental fish, but when overrun I might sell them as feeders ;). Good project to work on, Grant.

Best Regards,

Stuart
I agree that Glofish is a different subject all together. Of course they are still illegal to import into Canada but yes, they are genetically modified. I don't really have an issue with Parrot fish etc. Although they are hybrids that would probably never have evolved naturally, there are several examples of Marine fish that are natural hybrids.

The dyeing process has also moved into the marine trade in soft corals and anemone but this practice is fading due to pressure from hobbyists and their reluctance to purchase.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
So is there a list of the fish to avoid I am new to the hobby and seriously against this horrible practice... I don't want to buy one of these fish due to a lack of knowledge on the subject

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
tattoo your fish??!!! really??!! I guess there is no end to some peoples selfish explotation of living things for there own benefit!! how sad and thanks for making me aware. I will be sure to black list any store I find supporting the practice. Feel free to let me know of any stores you find that do so I may save myself the shame of ever walking through the doors!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
marcincan,
There are a lot of fish that are exposed to this practice. Many are obvious such as the tattooed varieties.
The majority of fish that are altered in this way are albino fish as the color shows up on them a lot better. The white tetra for example is dyed and sold in the trade as "Fruit Tetras". They come in every color you can imagine and different colors are promoted at different holidays. For example Pumpkin tetras at Halloween.

Here is a short list of common ones to avoid.

Painted Glass fish
Fruit Tetras
Raspberry Plecos
Jellybean Parrots
Some Blue Botia, although this is a natural coloration, some are dyed a deeper Blue
Tin foil and Tiger barbs are dyed various colors
Dyed Bala Shark Gold or Purple
Dyed Rainbow shark
Tattooed Parrot fish and Gourami

Most dyed fish are obvious, the colors are extreme. It is the process people are unaware of and the fact that they could be artificial. Lack of knowing is what keeps these fish popular.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tattoo your fish??!!! really??!! I guess there is no end to some peoples selfish explotation of living things for there own benefit!! how sad and thanks for making me aware. I will be sure to black list any store I find supporting the practice. Feel free to let me know of any stores you find that do so I may save myself the shame of ever walking through the doors!
There is no denying that there is a market for these fish. Stores who import them do sell them. It is very common to find them often. Really it is up to the consumer to make the ethical choice. If the average LFS listed the fish as artificially dyed, many would not purchase them, unfortunately some still will. To some "hobbyists" fish are just movement for the kids, nothing more. You have to look at this from a broader picture. Hobbyists should be made aware of the practice and make their own decision on the purchase. Although I do not import these fish, I do lose sales because of it because some will still purchase them even knowing. I personally don't want to promote the practice but my goal here is to make every hobbyist aware of the practice.

Down burn down your LFS or anything. Knowledge is power, use it to spread awareness.:)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Hey Ben,
Again it's a sales thing. My intent is to make sure every hobbyist in BC is aware.
hey man,

ya for sure its a sales thing. I just cant beleive people actually do this to fish. Id like to see them try do that to a monster fish (dats/puffers/bichirs/snakeheads) i hope they get their fingers bit off or something. I really dislike this method of making money. terrible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts