British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Fish surrenders (Kim's PSA)

Hi everyone. I just wanted to post a PSA kind of thing. If you have fish that you are wanting to surrender to a pet store, please call ahead of time to see if they are able to take them in. Sometimes there's no tanks available, even if it looks like there's open tanks that usually means they're going to be filled with fish when an order comes in. Sometimes the fish you want to surrender are fish a store can't accommodate because of the adult size, specific requirements and sometimes your fish may be sick and the store does not have an extra or large enough hospital tank to accommodate it. Showing up unexpectedly with a bucket of your fish and being angry that the store says no is very unfair. Sometimes emergencies happen like cracked tanks etc, but calling ahead will save you a lot of time and trouble while trying to find a new home for your fish. Please take this into consideration before you berate staff at a store because they weren't expecting your full grown oscar cichlid and say no. Leaving your fish outside by the dumpster or out of view of the door afterwards is also very inconsiderate, mostly to the fish, and your license plate will likely be recorded too because that's animal abuse. Please just be considerate and ask before expecting things. I hope I don't offend anyone with this post, this has just happened a lot recently and it's not fair. Thank you :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
My guess is that folks will "just show up with them" so that the store is less likely to say "no." Kind of hoping for a guilt trip to work.

There is no reason at all why a Seller should feel obligated to accept the cast offs. An exception, I suppose, would be if the Buyer is returning the fish to the Seller from which they were purchased. Even still, it would be courteous to call ahead just to make sure returning is okay.

Unfortunately, another issue arises: The unwanted fishes get dumped into local river/lake systems . . . which is an entirely different matter and should not make a Seller feel any more guilty for refusing the unwanted fish.

IDEA: Any Seller who is confronted with this predicament, let the owner know about BCAQUARIA. The chances are that some member here would be happy to take "free fish(es)" . . . unless these are vey sick, of course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts