British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Beauty tank I like rbp !!!! Thinking about another tank to join my other 3 hahah
I remember when I was just getting into exotic / predatory fish, I stumbled into Big Al's in Richmond. Saw a tank of 5 RBPs that were around 5-6 inches. Bought 3 of them and then the addiction kicked in from there. I had them in a 33 gallon and not too long after, purchased a 75 gallon tank. Kept 6 piranhas in there for some time and then switched over to arowana keeping. Here I go again with the piranhas. lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had couple of red bellies in a 33 for a while before switching over to a black rhom. Then had to get rid of the rhom for my highback.

I miss my rhom so much as it was just such a naturally aggressive fish, vs. the red bellies which I found really skittish and afraid of everything. Had them all on pellets within a month by just getting the silversides, putting some fishing line on it and getting them to attack it as soon as it hit the water. Then gradually rolled the silversides in pellets, and swapped out pellets on the line. Eventually they just started hitting the pellets as soon as they touched the water.

Had to get rid of my highback, and was feeling the need for something and ended up with a small sanchezi.

Great looking tank.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I had couple of red bellies in a 33 for a while before switching over to a black rhom. Then had to get rid of the rhom for my highback.

I miss my rhom so much as it was just such a naturally aggressive fish, vs. the red bellies which I found really skittish and afraid of everything. Had them all on pellets within a month by just getting the silversides, putting some fishing line on it and getting them to attack it as soon as it hit the water. Then gradually rolled the silversides in pellets, and swapped out pellets on the line. Eventually they just started hitting the pellets as soon as they touched the water.

Had to get rid of my highback, and was feeling the need for something and ended up with a small sanchezi.

Great looking tank.
Thanks Mitch! These red bellies are not skittish at all. During the 1st 2 weeks they were because I didn't have any gravel on the bottom so they were seeing their own reflection. Since adding the gravel, they are quite "chill".

I kept a gold spilo and black peruvian rhom back in the days and I found them to be rather timid. I think it was just the individual's personality. I also kept an elongatus and found them to be more outgoing and would often chase my finger around.

Ive been looking around the internet and ruby red spilos are suppose to be one of the most aggressive solitary piranhas. I might have to give one of them a try down the road!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had always thought that the bottom doesn't reflect anything, just was based on the way that we view the reflection from outside the tank, unless there was a mirror or something shiny on the bottom?

If I could do it all over again with a new piranha I would get a rhom, the spilos look cool but depending on the size of a tank you can't beat a big rhom I don't think:

The red eyes and dark black colors are just amazing.

I think when I set up my acrylic tank again i am going to just go with a rhom with black Tahitian sand.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I had always thought that the bottom doesn't reflect anything, just was based on the way that we view the reflection from outside the tank, unless there was a mirror or something shiny on the bottom?

If I could do it all over again with a new piranha I would get a rhom, the spilos look cool but depending on the size of a tank you can't beat a big rhom I don't think:

The red eyes and dark black colors are just amazing.

I think when I set up my acrylic tank again i am going to just go with a rhom with black Tahitian sand.
Yes a rhom would be nice but my tank is a little too small for a XXL room. I had a rhom before that was around 8 inches and was't too amusing. I think a larger one would definitely be a lot more fun to own! A big diamond rhom is nice but they are rare to find at 14-15 inches.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yes a rhom would be nice but my tank is a little too small for a XXL room. I had a rhom before that was around 8 inches and was't too amusing. I think a larger one would definitely be a lot more fun to own! A big diamond rhom is nice but they are rare to find at 14-15 inches.
here we go again, your big tank syndrome is kick in Mike :). I am still love fish but getting annoy with manual water change :(, and your is on hardwood floor so it is more annoy to wipe and clean when spill.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could always get a rhom and grow it out :) I swear they grow slower than clown loaches so you would have a lot of time. Did you end up getting rid of your big tank?

I have heard that it is really hit or miss with rhom's moreso than other fish because they are only kept by themselves so when you get a shy or skittish one it is painfully obvious.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
here we go again, your big tank syndrome is kick in Mike :). I am still love fish but getting annoy with manual water change :(, and your is on hardwood floor so it is more annoy to wipe and clean when spill.
David, I have to manually WC... with buckets lol. 2 big buckets a week. Python won't even fit on my faucet. Its terrible!!!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You could always get a rhom and grow it out :) I swear they grow slower than clown loaches so you would have a lot of time. Did you end up getting rid of your big tank?

I have heard that it is really hit or miss with rhom's moreso than other fish because they are only kept by themselves so when you get a shy or skittish one it is painfully obvious.
Mitch, my big tank went to earl, King El. He is having a lot of fun with it and added a lot of nice decor to it. Looked better than my bare tank lol.

Yea, that's the problem with specially ordering piranhas. You just don't know what you'll end up with! I'll have fun with these for now and see what's next on the wish list. Geryi looks very cool. I know aquascape sells quite the collection of piranhas in the USA.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For your python issue you might be able to go to home hardware and get a thin threaded attachment, that is what I needed when I had moved.

I feel your pain with buckets, it feels like a lot more work doing a 20 gallon water change than 100...

I had spoken to the underwater collection here a couple years ago and they were able to bring in fish from peru.

That is great that someone with so much knowledge got your tank, I am sure it is packed with fish and looking great.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For your python issue you might be able to go to home hardware and get a thin threaded attachment, that is what I needed when I had moved.

I feel your pain with buckets, it feels like a lot more work doing a 20 gallon water change than 100...

I had spoken to the underwater collection here a couple years ago and they were able to bring in fish from peru.

That is great that someone with so much knowledge got your tank, I am sure it is packed with fish and looking great.
I will try to see if I can find an adaptor for the python. Makes WC that much easier... lol.

Yea Sid brought in some piranhas before. I should ask him if he gets anything special on his list!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts