British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
InnerTubeMan. About 11 years ago I had a thriving 20g tank, fully planted, natural bog wood, slightly black water. I was making my own filter bags with peat, charcoal, a bit of oyster shell sprinkled in there too. My dwarf gouramies (a breeding pair) and school of harlequin rasboras were happy as can be. We had a kid, moved to a different place, life got busy, and all the fish got sick and died.
Now we have 3 kids and a 40g tank, and am about to embark on a similar journey. However, I see that lighting options have changed (not sure which brand of readily available LED hoods to choose for a soon to be planted tank) and the price of plants has gotten way out of control. Or maybe I just remember have a multitude on hand from my overgrown tank and having to through them out every few months.
If any users on here are in the Maple Ridge area and find themselves having to compost bucket loads of plants every few months, let me know. I could use a few to help get my setup inhabitable.

I'm going to pet smart tomorrow morning for the black friday sale to get a new heater, and to check out LED hood options.

When I get this tank set up, I will probably populate it with a dozen Zebra Danios (due to their $1 each pricetag) until I can get a good amount of plants to allow Gouramies to be happy.

Anybody know where to buy bog wood locally?
What about water test kits? Are the test strips worth it? or should I start off with the middle of the road kit that does 8 different tests?

If you read this far, Thank-you. I look forward to maybe getting know some of you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sounds like you pretty much know what you are doing. :)
Lighting is the thing that has probably changed the most since you were last keeping fish.
LED's are the way to go now.
Check out J&L Aquatics for best price locally.

Reactions: InnerTubeMan

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah it's changed for sure. Usually you gotta drop hundreds of dollars on lighting if you hope to achieve anything with LED, I like t5ho better in that regard. With our dollar as low as it is, it's a waste of time and money going with cheaper brands and having to pay the shipping and duties. Danios are a good choice. So are white clouds. Pet Lovers in Abby is a good store somewhat close by you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In regards to lighting it depends on what you want (low/high tech). LEDs can be comparable to T5's, but the initial start up costs is much higher (if you're looking for the good quality brands). Some still prefer T5's over LEDs due to growth or colour rendition. If you get LEDs, don't go for the LED hoods, they're not good for growing plants (not all LEDs are created equal).

Keep an eye on the Plant Classified here on the forum. You'll find deals here and there.

Test strips are known to be inaccurate. Go for a liquid test kit instead. The API Master Test kit is the cheapest one and good enough.

Trout, it seems white clouds are restricted now.
http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/fres...er-chat-9/white-cloud-mountain-minnow-187722/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done it, but it's been a long time. I picked up some plants from Petland's Black Friday sale. Give me a year and I'll hopefully have something to barter trades with.

Geoffrey, I did pick up that API test kit. the one that has the 5 different tests in it. PH, PH High, Nitrite, nitrate etc. thanks for affirming my decision.

I will have to look into the price difference for T5 HO's. There's gotta be some good info in the DIY section here to eh.

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a month of being setup, I noticed my corydoras doing a strange dance and watched them place eggs on my filter tube. Things must be going good in this little aquarium. The zebra danios sure do want to eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes, the API kit is better for accuracy than the strips. Also, L.E.D. lights have their limitations as far as benefiting live plants is concerned. I still use fluorescent lighting. Plants do just fine (and I do not use any fertilizers).

Note: I have placed each bundle of plants in its own plastic container (i.e. small bead jars from the dollar store with a hole cut in the lids). I use sand for the bottom of the tank and put the same sand inside each container in which the plants root. The containers are buried in the sand wherever I wish to put them . . . and I am free to move these around from time to time without disturbing the root system (e.g. change of scenery, routine maintenance, etc.). When plants grow too tall, I trim and start a new plant with the clippings. (Of course, one has to pick plants that are grown in this fashion.)

Works for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
" . . . Danios are a good choice. So are white clouds . . . "

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zebra Danios can be quite aggressive in small numbers. I had a trio that tormented everyone else in the tank . . . so they had to go. Kept in LARGER numbers - a dozen or more? - Danios, I am told, learn to play nicely with others.

I think I read an article somewhere a couple of months ago that it is now illegal to breed/sell WHITE CLOUDS in BC. Was that my imagination or is there something to this? Anyone know more?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi everybody,
InnerTubeMan. About 11 years ago I had a thriving 20g tank, fully planted, natural bog wood, slightly black water. I was making my own filter bags with peat, charcoal, a bit of oyster shell sprinkled in there too. My dwarf gouramies (a breeding pair) and school of harlequin rasboras were happy as can be. We had a kid, moved to a different place, life got busy, and all the fish got sick and died.
Now we have 3 kids and a 40g tank, and am about to embark on a similar journey. However, I see that lighting options have changed (not sure which brand of readily available LED hoods to choose for a soon to be planted tank) and the price of plants has gotten way out of control. Or maybe I just remember have a multitude on hand from my overgrown tank and having to through them out every few months.
If any users on here are in the Maple Ridge area and find themselves having to compost bucket loads of plants every few months, let me know. I could use a few to help get my setup inhabitable.

I'm going to pet smart tomorrow morning for the black friday sale to get a new heater, and to check out LED hood options.

When I get this tank set up, I will probably populate it with a dozen Zebra Danios (due to their $1 each pricetag) until I can get a good amount of plants to allow Gouramies to be happy.

Anybody know where to buy bog wood locally?
What about water test kits? Are the test strips worth it? or should I start off with the middle of the road kit that does 8 different tests?

If you read this far, Thank-you. I look forward to maybe getting know some of you.
I think able to get quality fish is one of the most important factors. Another important factor is know/learn the right environment for your fish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
" . . . Danios are a good choice. So are white clouds . . . "

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Zebra Danios can be quite aggressive in small numbers. I had a trio that tormented everyone else in the tank . . . so they had to go. Kept in LARGER numbers - a dozen or more? - Danios, I am told, learn to play nicely with others.

I think I read an article somewhere a couple of months ago that it is now illegal to breed/sell WHITE CLOUDS in BC. Was that my imagination or is there something to this? Anyone know more?
The zebra danios are quick quick, they play extremely roughly with each other but leave the corys alone. Even when it's feeding time and they are all goin at the same food, they don't bump or push them around. But to one another? Watch out.
I want to get a dwarf gourami, but I am hesitant to until my tall plants fill in more. Plus, I'm nut sure how the mob will react to sharing the mid and top water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts