British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting a RO/DI unit for some delicate species, but I'm having a hard time choosing a good filter. The information online is helpful but a bit overwhelming. I'd appreciate help picking a good RO unit for beginners, if such thing exists. Any advice for someone who wants to start using RO water?

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are many brands but with our quality water in Vancouver, a 2 stage should do the trick ( some go up to 5 or more stages with DI resin as well). Try J&L aquatics in Burnaby, which sell ones for saltwater people..cheapest 2 stage start at around $150.00. Alternatively, find ones on craigslist , etc.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Whichever unit you get, buy one like the liqagen. By that I mean that style, with the canisters. The filters, inside are changeable, 10" standard. You don't have to buy proprietary filters.
As said, our water here in the lower mainland is very good. Last year, here in Surrey, in the spring, I was measuring about 15 PPM of dissolved particles. (TDS)
As well, when the blurb says 100 gal/day, this means in a 24 hr period. So invest in a small tank. Most co that sell filters also sell the tanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts