British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Saechem Prime to condition my water. I found an older bottle, but when I open it, it strongly smells like amonia. Is that concerning? Can Prime expire?
Thanks for your feedback.

Gesendet von meinem LG-D852 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
Actually it says right on the bottle I have that if you smell a sulphur smell that this is normal. Maybe I have an older bottle and newer labels don't have that note.

I have also have used NutraFin Aqua Plus + for decades with no issues. Perhaps it is not as good as Seachem Prime but it has no smell. Also it's the product recommended along with NutraFin - Cycle by Salmoinds in the Classroom when we are setting up our Salmon incubation tanks in schools each year.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you're looking for gallons of Prime, you might as well save a bit and buy Safe instead. It's the dry form of Prime. However, you can't make your own solution since Prime has extra stabilizers in it (I think this is also what promotes slime coats and binds heavy metals so Safe can't do these either). You can get it a 250g container from Amazon for $16.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you're looking for gallons of Prime, you might as well save a bit and buy Safe instead. It's the dry form of Prime. However, you can't make your own solution since Prime has extra stabilizers in it (I think this is also what promotes slime coats and binds heavy metals so Safe can't do these either). You can get it a 250g container from Amazon for $16.
Thanks for the idea :) I will keep that in mind. :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you want to go the Safe route, I have an unopened 1k jug. It is $59 on Amazon. I will sell it for $49. This is too much for most individual buyers, so might be good for up to 6 people to share.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.