British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone in my area has given me the opportunity to remove about 30-40 large goldfish from her pond for my own pond. I’ve been trying once per week since spring.
Struggling to catch the big ones. One reason being that these fish are skilled at hiding from predators. I have however caught 60-70 small ones.
Pond is 4’ deep, 15’ across, and there are hollow cinder blocks /drain tiles in the bottom for hiding.
And she won’t let me drain it :)

I have used long handled dip nets without success as they are too quick, and actually purchased a 12’ long seine net with weights/floats but they just hide in the bricks.

Online ideas for traps (pop bottles and rubbermaids) are too small, and the rubbermaids leave too much room to escape.

Any other ideas? Chemicals that make them float would be ideal at this point 😀Thanks!

I would have put this in the pond section but seems it gets no views.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
How about a 4 foot long, 4 inch diameter pipe with an improvised funnel at the end? Stir up the pond, and hope some of the fish take refuge in the pipe which can then be removed.

Or, float a plastic tote up to its rim. Cut a hole in the side of it and put life earthworms in the bottom. Goldfish cannot resist earthworms.

Chemicals would likely kill the fish.

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,360 Posts
tote with a flap so its basically one way entrance. add food and wait

Reactions: fireweed

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is there a shallow part of the pond? Where are the cinder block located? Try what TomC said with the pipe and then place the pipe on one side of the cinder block. Drag the net across and hope the fish will go in and past the other side cinder block?

Can you see the bottom of the pond or is it muddy?

Maybe something like this?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish the fish were so tame. They eat pellets when nobody is watching.
I will see about trying the rubber made. I wonder if they will push tough a flap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts