British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
as true as the BC Liberals are crooked, but can't confirm the 2 year lifespan ...

·
Registered
480 Posts
as far as i know this information is correct...

anyone else ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Absolutely positively correct.
Marbled Crayfish reproduce by parthenogenesis, which is self cloning. Meaning all young, will have identical DNA to the mother cray, and all will most likely be female.
Its a very interesting creature!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I have 4 of them and they grow really quick. Getting aggressive towards each other so I'm getting rid of 3 of them. The largest one is now close to 2". Looking forward for the cloning... LOL

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
They can grow up to 4" and they are all females
I have read that they can grow up to 5" but the ones i owed have bveen up to 4"

·
Registered
480 Posts
so when they hit 2" then they are mature to have babies?? I have 2 that are almost that size..so should i be looking out for babies soon?

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes, well maybe lol, i have lots that clone at 2 inches, and lots that berry but drop the eggs after a few days at 2 inches, guess it depends, but yes capable for sure!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Around 3 is pretty much the norm, once and a while I get one that starts at around 2 and at 4 they are baby machines.

Once they berry, they will become reclusive and typically stay hidden most of the time.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
its true, they basically clone themselves
my friend has a mantis shrimp (awesomest aquarium pet ever) and he has marble crayfish cloning in other tanks to feed it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
its true, they basically clone themselves
my friend has a mantis shrimp (awesomest aquarium pet ever) and he has marble crayfish cloning in other tanks to feed it.
sounds like a good set up to me with the mantis shrimp munching on the extra marble crays...

·
Registered
743 Posts
man I need to get some of these. the babies would be a great food source for my chocolate cichlids!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just sold eight of them (three inches) and half were berried. they're in all my tanks including the central american cichlid tank. Help! they're tanking over!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts