British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone so Ben (ben_mbu) and I went into a LFS that we have never gone into before. Low & behold they have a fish section.
Like pet stores aren't bad enough for us already.. having a dog and two cats
Of course, we go over to browse the fish isles, and as always I'm looking for puffers
I came across a tank labelled as "F8 puffer" and what I seen in the tank, was definitely NOT an F8.

She is a turgidus puffer (not sure on sex.. just seems like a girl to me..)
I was super excited to see this little girl in there, and she was the last one.

I just had to pick her up, so we did. Bought some more plants for her, and another piece of DW.

We've named her Shellie :) she has already eaten prawn, and she comes up to the glass when we walk into the room.

Here's some pics.. they aren't the best, she wasn't cooperating this morning:rolleyes::p
She is in a 26g cube tank, with black & tan 3M Colorquartz S-grade sand.

Full tank shot

I'll try to get some better pics another time

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :) I was very excited to see her.. she was one of the puffers on our wish list :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
what fish store did you go to? Shes adorable!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We went to PetLand on Lougheed near the Pitt River bridge & Home Depot
Their uniforms were pretty funny... safari suits.. I would not wear that if I worked there haha

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks :D & Yes, yes you do! .. I warn you though, once you get bit by the puffer bite.. it's very hard to get rid of!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Great score Lisa!!
She definitely landed in the right Puffer spot!! LOL
Its just too funny when the "pros" don't know what they're selling.
Cheers!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't want to tell him it was labelled wrong in case he'd charge me more lol

·
Registered
480 Posts
ill have to take a run out there - btw, what is the substrate that your using for this one?

...and, how do you clean up the shells etc from their messy eating? My fahaka's tank so needs cleaning but i cant pick out the shells from the substrate, so i think i have to now get rid of the substrate - but its eco-complete (expensive) and i dont really want to. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The substrate is a mix of peach & black 3M colour quartz S-Grade :)

Hehe, good Q! We use a fine net, that will allow the sand to funnel out but not the larger shell pieces, .. if you have gravel.. I'm not sure what would work, maybe trying to scoop the shell only, and get as little gravel as possible then pick the shells out of the net?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ive tried everything..but he crunches the shells into little pieces, it would take me months to pick out the shells !!! :). I did try..but gave up quickly :)

I had a bare bottom for awhile which worked, but was not pleasing to look at..so i added the substrate and now i cant clean it. Im at a loss...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know what you mean.. your puff appreciates the substrate though!!
What kind of substrate do you have???

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you :) They certainly are not as common as a Figure 8 Puffer :p

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks :D I took some really good photos last night.. just waiting to get them.. **hint hint** :p

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's some pics I took last night, she was swimming around a lot, then she just stopped, and posed for me for 15 mins.. it was so cool!! It's like she knew what I was trying to do :D:p

** Lots of pics!! **

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some good puffer news to report, Shellie puffed up this morning! I was running down the hallway to get the camera, but she was already depuffed, maybe next time.
Pretty darn cool to see. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts