British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I decided it was time to start my little nano reef

My DI filter is on back order.. And I have been Itching to get started. Generously some local refers donated a few buckets of RODI to get me started

I filled the bottom with 10lbs of live sand and added water and a power head

What the tank looked like yesterday

All cleaned out

Added some sand

filled it up

Added a powerhead...now I hurry up and wait for it to settle

Hopefully it doesn't take to long for things to settle. I should be getting some liverock today from another reefer!!

I have 36w's of leds on order for when I start adding corals :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
ooh, en-veee
good luck!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Lol setting the rock up is difficult. I went through a couple of different versions too. Lots of holes for the fish to hide and swim through and as Anthony said, lots of room for corals. Trust me, once you buy your first you'll be hooked. I went to Anthony's to pick up one coral, came away with 2 and by the end of the weekend I was up to 8 corals in my tank. Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can feel it coming!

What do you think of this scape? I'm undecided with the coral sticking up on ye left but aside from that I think it's not to bad.. Any tips for improvement?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Last night I decided it was time to start my little nano reef

I have 36w's of leds on order for when I start adding corals :)
I have followed with interest your building of this tank on both of your threads. Two questions: 1) Where did you end up getting this LED ? And 2) How mush did it cost ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Led wasn't cheap. I got it off eBay trough ultrabrite. They make kits specificity for the edge. They start at $160 for the 18w and go up from there. The 36w was only $30 more do I figured why not.. That was before I added on the automated controller..so depends how fancy you want to go :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to put the Aqua clear on to help clear up the water and realized intake tubes were full of algae and I couldn't find my little brush so I put the freshwater clean up crew to work

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
+1 for the powerhead placement. I know mine will blow a hole in my sand bed from across the tank if pointed at the sand.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's the part that scares me. They can get pricey!

A few more shots now that it has had overnight to clear

Would the powerhead be enough filtration or should I leave the aquaclear on as well?
If I leave it I think I'll paint the intake tube flat black or get a glass one to hide it

1 - 20 of 94 Posts