British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now the edge of my tank, where the sand bed meets the glass, is always dirty looking. There is a little algae and it just detracts from the look. I was trying to think of a way to fix it, without having to reach into my tank and wipe it all the time.

Are there snails that would keep this clean for me, and/or sift the sand bed? I am not the biggest fan of snails as the first time I got them (by accident) they went nuts in my tank and breed like crazy. But if there are some that wouldn't get out of control and would help with the cleaning, that would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Some snails breed like crazy(ramhorns, pond snails etc.) and others won't. I know nerite and some sulawesi snails will definitely each algae off the glass and wherever it exist in your tank.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I find my snails are good workers. Nerite and ramshorns... If you don't over feed there is no problem with population explosions. Some people hate them. I think they are great. They make snacks for my dwarf puffers too. They also help me raise my fry. Ramshorns will eat brown algae. Nerites will eat a little green spot. If you have black beard algae, SAE take care of it. Also my snails clean right down to the very edge of the substrate. My zebra Nerites are awesome. Also I love my brown leopard ramshorn that was a freebie with some plants.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They would be going into a 46 gallon with all the guys listed in my signature. Ottos and amanos are out because of the discus, although the amanos are still under consideration.

·
Registered
197 Posts
snails are a natural part of practically every aquatic ecosystem on the planet. If you have population explosions of them, then there is too much left over fish food and you need to feed less. My favorites are malasian trumpet snails, because they pretty much disappear into the gravel and only come out at night.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do nerites stir the sand bed as well? Not as important to me as the algae cleaning, but would be nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts