British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sort of heavy planted 5 gallon low tech tank with some cherry shrimps. I introduced 7 CRS into the tank 3 weeks ago. I did water test last weekend and the numbers are as follow:
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Gh 5

My friend told me I don't need to do water change every week. That was what I did. He does water change once a month and his CRS colony is going strong with lots of babies and keep growing. So I do the same as him and haven't done water change since I got the CRS 3 weeks ago. My cherry shrimps are living very happy and active. I even see 4 - 5 babies crawling on the wall sometimes. On the other hand, my CRS aren't doing too good. They are just hiding in the moss or behind the driftwood. I can't even find them. Unfortunately I found a dead CRS couple days ago and some looks like pink meat leftover on the moss. I hope it is not belong to one of the CRS.

Here are the questions:
1) How often do I need to do water chance for my shrimp only 5 gallon tank? It seems like the cherry got better when I don't water change often.
2) What is the cause that my CRS died but cherry shrimps seem fine?
3) Where are the rest of the cherry shrimp babies which I only saw 4-5 babies in the tank most? I saw the berried shrimp carried quite a lot of eggs under her belly.
4) Why are my cherry shrimps doing great but not CRS?
5) I use Seachem Equilibrium for gH. I am wondering what other sort of thing do I need to make the shrimps living better? Does the bio ball or whatever mineral rock help?
6) There are some tiny white bugs inside the tank. Some like a line some like a tiny dot. Are they harmful to the shrimp?
7) What other information do I need to know?

I am a newbie for freshwater aquarium, especially on shrimp tank. All my info was from google and friends. Any input or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Here is some information you may need to know. I am using second hand ADA soil. and I have lots of java moss, some anubias, some small floating plants and a piece of driftwood in the tank.

Thanks,
bbqwing

·
Registered
447 Posts
What is your TDS at?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Total Dissolved solids.It should be between 150 to 200 for CRS.You can by a meter to measure for $15 to $20.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are the questions:
1) How often do I need to do water chance for my shrimp only 5 gallon tank? It seems like the cherry got better when I don't water change often.
3) Where are the rest of the cherry shrimp babies which I only saw 4-5 babies in the tank most? I saw the berried shrimp carried quite a lot of eggs under her belly.
5) I use Seachem Equilibrium for gH. I am wondering what other sort of thing do I need to make the shrimps living better? Does the bio ball or whatever mineral rock help?
6) There are some tiny white bugs inside the tank. Some like a line some like a tiny dot. Are they harmful to the shrimp?
First off, you are to remember that CRS are not as hardy as cherry shrimps; not only so they require parameters to be within a certain range but they also need them to be stable

It will depend on your source for them but generally you want the parameters to be within the following range

PH: 5.6 - 6.8
GH: 3-6
KH: 0-1
Temp: ~ 24 C

1) I prefer to do weekly water changes but i also use remineralize RODI water so the parameters of my source water stay quite stable.
2) could be alot of factors, but basically CRS are more sensitive and require more specific parameters
3) Is it a shrimp only tank? there many factors as well for shrimplets; lack of food, minerals, (un)ideal parameters
4) Avoid Seachem Equilibrium if you only want to raise GH only as it will also increase GH/KH+ - i recommend something like Salty Shrimp GH+ instead but what is your starting GH / KH levels? you might not need to add anything. In addition to the remineralizer, there is also mineral rocks & powder that provide minerals to for shell development / molting
5) depends on which one they are; if thye are seed shrimps than they are harmless but if they are worms like Planaria than those can but harmful to baby shrimps.
6) will need to know you parameters and details of your setup to further advise you. what type of filter(s) are you using, temperatures? does your temperature fluctuate during different times of the day. What type of light are you using? how many shirmps do you have and what is your feeding routine?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a sort of heavy planted 5 gallon low tech tank with some cherry shrimps. I introduced 7 CRS into the tank 3 weeks ago. I did water test last weekend and the numbers are as follow:
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Gh 5

My friend told me I don't need to do water change every week. That was what I did. He does water change once a month and his CRS colony is going strong with lots of babies and keep growing. So I do the same as him and haven't done water change since I got the CRS 3 weeks ago. My cherry shrimps are living very happy and active. I even see 4 - 5 babies crawling on the wall sometimes. On the other hand, my CRS aren't doing too good. They are just hiding in the moss or behind the driftwood. I can't even find them. Unfortunately I found a dead CRS couple days ago and some looks like pink meat leftover on the moss. I hope it is not belong to one of the CRS.

Here are the questions:

I am a newbie for freshwater aquarium, especially on shrimp tank. All my info was from google and friends. Any input or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Here is some information you may need to know. I am using second hand ADA soil. and I have lots of java moss, some anubias, some small floating plants and a piece of driftwood in the tank.

Thanks,
bbqwing
1. I change water about once every two months or so (10 to 20%), although I have a couple of tanks that haven't had anything but top up water for over a year and are healthy tanks with tons of babies
2. Possibly temp, possibly other water conditions. Warm water holds less dissolved oxygen and CRS seem very sensitive to low oxygen levels. I'd rather have my CRS/TB tanks at 10 degrees Celsius than 25 degrees.
3. Hiding or didn't make it. Young shrimp seem to molt more frequently and therefore hide more frequently and have higher mortality rates.
4. Maybe temp, maybe water conditions
5. How are you de-chlorinating your water? Some people swear against Seachem Prime. I just age water in a bucket with an airstone and I have better survival rate of babies than I did when using Prime. Could be coincidence though.
6. Sounds like detritus worms. Harmless. If they have a diamond shaped head though it might be planaria, which should be treated.
7. When you do change your water, do it very slowly. Any water change or top off I do, I drip the water in. 2 drops a second or so. It takes overnight, but it makes anychange in water conditions so gradual that it doesn't bother the shrimp.

Good luck with it all.
Rob

Reactions: Jousters

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry you have to copy and paste link.Please enjoy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Maybe not link appears to work when I posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts