British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can ghost shrimp and cherry red shrimp interbreed? I bought the last 3 shrimp at a semi LFS. They were in a net box so a bit hard to see but definitely not red. she told me they were ghost shrimp and upon closer inspection, at home, they look nothing like the shape of a ghost shrimp. One is slightly red too. Are they just really dull cherry shrimp or a hybrid between the two?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Glad they can't interbreed.. I got ghost shrimp and amano shrimp mixed when I bought these and when I got home and realized, I was a bit worried. Glad they are cherrys

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a chance they will get more red as they grow? Two are still very tiny but the bigger of the three is just slightly red. Safe to assume all three are low grade males then? Will they produce red babies if bred with fully red cherry's?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Red cherry and Ghost Shrimp are different specie and they can't cross breed.

I don't think it is wild cherry shrimp because it is brownish color. It could be low grade male as it is close to colorless.

If it is female maybe it is really low grade snowball shrimp.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Is there a chance they will get more red as they grow? Two are still very tiny but the bigger of the three is just slightly red. Safe to assume all three are low grade males then? Will they produce red babies if bred with fully red cherry's?

Nope.. And you don't want to mix those with high grade cherry such as fire red or paint fire red as you will downgrade the gene pool. Not sure what can you do with it as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are just regular cherry shrimp okay? I won't be getting any super high grade shrimp. Not yet anyways lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are just regular cherry shrimp okay? I won't be getting any super high grade shrimp. Not yet anyways lol

Welll yes but the problem is the babies will carry those gene and they wont' be good. I am also not sure how much you are paying for red cherry shrimp because lowest grade should be a dollar to 2 dollar range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I definitely didn't pay much at all for the three shrimp I have, but I am getting red cherry shrimp tomorrow morning

·
Registered
379 Posts
Honestly it is up to you. Sakura, fire red, paint fire red or even bloody mary are done from selected breeding. (Basiclly wild > low cherry > sakura > fire red > paint fire red.) If you only want some shrimp in the tank to help cleaning the algae, I don't think it will matter.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Welll yes but the problem is the babies will carry those gene and they wont' be good. I am also not sure how much you are paying for red cherry shrimp because lowest grade should be a dollar to 2 dollar range.
I'd value those guys at like 50 cents each to be honest once I have enough Painted Fire Reds in a colony I plan to sell them for like 2.5$ each.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I'd value those guys at like 50 cents each to be honest once I have enough Painted Fire Reds in a colony I plan to sell them for like 2.5$ each.
I was lucky enough to meet up with one member and get PFR's for $1 in a higher quantity (believe it was around 20 or 30 of them), however that was just pure luck and generosity. I'd gladly pay $2.50 as that's likely half the price of a LFS when they're available.

I also agree it's likely a cherry shrimp, doesn't seem to me to have the same tail\legs (they almost look like claws on ghost shrimp), however if he's not worried about not having red shrimp he can let those breed. However, as was already mentioned LykeOMGee, if you do want better genes, you're better of giving those away, so the don't downgrade the gene pool of more colorful shrimp you purchase in the future.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I'm not too worried about breeding them for their color or anything so I've decided to let them live with my cherry's. I got 15 little ones from Canadian aquatics this morning :)

One day I hope to invest in some super nice quality shrimp, but while I'm still learning I figure these are best.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Alright cool I'm glad theres a demand for higher quality RCS however it will be awhile cause im still trying to get a constant breeding amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The semi LFS I spoke of also told me they sometimes get black cherry shrimp. Was thinking I might grab some of those as well and see what happens for babies.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The semi LFS I spoke of also told me they sometimes get black cherry shrimp. Was thinking I might grab some of those as well and see what happens for babies.

The black cherry I believe is the chocolate or black diamond shrimps. I won't suggest you mix them because offspring of your chocolate/black diamond shrimp and red cherry shrimp will end up revert back to the wild cherry. (Brownish color.) It took several generations of select breeding to have red cherry and chocolate shrimp and it will be mess up if they cross breed. If you have red cherry shrimp don't mix it with any other Neocaridinas such as chocolate, yellow, pumpkin.etc. Low grade cherry mix high grade cherry still get cherry, however red cherry mix other neo may result original wild color.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good to know! I definitely won't mix them then. I was hoping maybe I'd get a black and red cherry shrimp lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts