British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone im going to be setting up a shrimp tank i had one a few years ago so i have forgot what all i need for it :(
im still not sure what kind of shrimps to get as i have a few favs im looking in to :) blue wizards , CRS , tiger shrimps are just a few i like

any help would be grate

the tank is a 10gal i have a light and a sponge filter im going to put on it.
but what elles will i need to get ?
also how long do i have to wait tell i can add shrimps to it ?
what temp is best for them if i need a heater in the tank ?

the shrimps im thinking of getting to start of with im hoping to get culls as if they die right right away im not out too many $$
also if anyone is willing to sell me culls please let me know & thank you for looking and maybe helping me out

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Corrie, I would be happy to help you but first you should definitely decide on a few things before moving forward:

1. What kind of shrimp do you want? Neocaridina are quite forgiving, most tigers are a step up in difficulty, CRS would be another step up from most tigers. That said, many shrimps have been so widely bred that you will find some to be quite hardy.

2. What is your goal with them? Do you want to breed a colony? Or use them in a planted tank? Whatever it is, it'll affect which ones youll probably want to keep and what you'll need to be successful.

Think about what you like and your goals.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what breeds are Neocaridina ?

i was hoping to do 2 kinds in the same tank if it can saport 2 breeds if not then im not sure what kind i will get to start off with :)

i would love to breed a colony the tank will have a few easy to grow plants in it some kind of moss & anubis with a few drift woods for the shrimp to hide in .

the shrimp will be for me to enjoy in my room .

i find the 1 fish tank my family has in the living room has a calming affect for me as i have bad deppreshion/anxiety so im hoping a shrimp tank in my room will do the same for me :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
what breeds are Neocaridina ?

i was hoping to do 2 kinds in the same tank if it can saport 2 breeds if not then im not sure what kind i will get to start off with :)

i would love to breed a colony the tank will have a few easy to grow plants in it some kind of moss & anubis with a few drift woods for the shrimp to hide in .

the shrimp will be for me to enjoy in my room .

i find the 1 fish tank my family has in the living room has a calming affect for me as i have bad deppreshion/anxiety so im hoping a shrimp tank in my room will do the same for me :)
Neocaridina is one of two genus of shrimp typically kept in freshwater tanks. Caridina is the other. There are some others too, but quite rare.
Cherries, pumpkin, green jades, blue wizards are examples of neocaridina. Tigers and crystal bees belong to the caridina genus.

Shrimps in different genus cannot crossbreed, so if you want to keep two kinds and avoid hybridization, a good starting point is to keep regular tigers with a neocaridina. They also both share very similar water parameters.

For example, I now keep Blue Pearls with Tangerine Tigers. I have kept Crystal Reds with Fire Reds before too. This is safe to do if you wish to avoid crossing.

However, if your goal is to breed out a colony, reconsider having two kinds of shrimps to start. It can be tough to make sure each one is successful, as they would be in direct competition of resources with one another. But maybe try two prolific shrimps to begin with. For example, tangerine tigers and fire reds are often paired together, both have similar requirements and both breed readily.

Having moss is good. Subwassertang and moss have been, in my experience, the best for growing out young shrimps. You should get a remineralizer too, to make sure the GH, KH and pH is right where it should be for the shrimps. Pat of Canadian Aquatics sells some specifically for shrimps. See Salty Shrimp GH/KH+. You will want a variety of foods: one for protein, one for babies and one kale/algae/veggie one. Rotate and feed sparingly, enough so they can finish in about an hour or less.

That, along with your sponge filter, should be enough to get started. There are many other things you can add, but it only gets more advanced and complicated. Start baby steps and go from there. That's my best advice for you.

Frankly, the products are maybe 30% to keeping shrimps, the other 70% comes from good care and discipline. For example, keeping parameters stable is more essential to some shrimps than the fanciest food or gadget. And that all comes down to discipline.

Good luck. There are lots of resources available online too if you seek more knowledge, or keep asking away here. Many other great shrimp keepers here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh right, you'll need to let the tank cycle completely before adding shrimps. They are quite sensitive to ammonia and nitrite. Even high amounts of nitrate can be a death sentence. Measure the levels of nitrogen throughout the month it's cycling. Usually 4-6 weeks, but if you have a mature tank, you could take the filter in that tank and use the filter media or sponge to "seed" the tank to get a head start. This in my experience cuts about 1-2 weeks. Some say it's an instant cycle when you do this, that is bad advice. I would not recommend putting any shrimp in until you are certain the cycling is complete. It will always take time. Everything good takes time and patience is a virtue. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good to see you back in the hobby. I got decent red cherries, anytime you want some you can come get some. I personally would go with any of the neocardinia species. Yellow,red,blue,black, they're all pretty hardy. Cardinia species like CRS are harder to keep.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thank you all for the help & info . i had a large sponge filter i had running with a hob filter on my 1 fish tank so i have put the sponge filter in my new tank to help it get started :)
i think im going to go with cherrys to start with then maybe down the line get tigers or CRS :) once im more confadent with how to take care of them :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you choose to get into Crystal or Taiwan bees, you should look into active substrates. It's extremely difficult to keep them without a proper buffering system in place, but not impossible. Then I would also recommend you look into RODI if you want to get really into shrimp keeping. Start slow and enjoy them though, that's most important.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts