British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to bite the bullet and looking at installing an electric fence around my entire garden, which will admittedly be very tricky. Anyone using one and can recommend brands, models, best-bang-for-the-buck kits or components.

The bloody ***** destroyed my aquaponics system this week and just found 3 young ones in my backyard at 1:30 am (one was trying for my apricots and two were fishing for koi/goldfish on top of my pond). Time to get serious about zapping these buggers once and for all.

For those who know about electric fences and are coming to the BBQ at my place on Saturday, please find me and educate me on what I need to order.

Better yet, if someone has a good functional electric fence setup they're not using and would like to sell, please contact me.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I used to have them for my rabbits. They do intervals so mostly very effective unless they get through between the few seconds. But once they get zapped once or twice they won't go near .
Good
Luck...let us know how it goes
Hope he didn't get a fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
My neighbour had problem raccoons He got an animal trap and caught them. Brought them to some park across the river. Never to be seen again.
Be very careful with raccoon feces. Apparently 80% of N American raccoons are infested with some parasite that also can infect humans. This parasite can stay alive for 2 years in your lawn.
Now if I could only remember the name of it.
I found this on the net:
Baylisascariasis describes the human infection with the raccoon roundworm Baylisascaris procyonis. The parasite is endemic in raccoons, with infection rates ranging from 72% to 100% (1)(2). If you live in a place with sidewalks, there are most certainly infected raccoons living in close proximity to you; B. procyonis is the pathogen hiding in your backyard (3). One of the larger parasitic worms out there, this big guy inhabits the intestinal tract of raccoons and produces thousands of eggs that are shed in the feces.

I found my information from the TV series "Monsters inside me" I think on the Discovery channel

·
Registered
102 Posts
3 years ago we got a pretty good corn crop, the following year the raccoons were all "oooh tasty"! We got two tiny corn ears, about 2" long. from 12 plants. Super depressing haha
This year we planned on doing the Three Sisters technique -
Pole beans wrap around the corn to make the stem prickly. Cucumber is grown on the ground to make the ground prickly. To be extra careful, we put a black puppy play pen around the plants.
Unfortunately, we got hit by something... pole beans were eaten, cucumber got powdery mildew. Luckily the puppy playpen did it's job hahaa, the corn has survived this year! Yay!

Next year we are going to try something spiky around the water of our bird garden. There are also other things people do with companion gardening. Here are some other ideas, though nothing is 100%, they are smart buggers.

What Plants Do Raccoons Not Like? | Home Guides | SF Gate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts