British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People have asked several times for aquarium safe silicone.
The silicone that is most readily available at a decent price is GE Silicone I. It is aquarium safe and has been used by aquarists to build and repair aquariums since it was originally released.
Here is a picture of the tube you want . Click the attached picture to see the larger view of it .
DCP_0304.jpg

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
This should b a stiky as many members are always asking about it :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
This is what we used to reseal our tank and it has worked great. Good thread Dave

·
Registered
957 Posts
Me too :)
My husband and kids just finished some awesome decorations out of rocks we collected on Sunday. I should probably make some pictures tomorrow before they goes into tanks.
And maybe some when they are actually in the tanks :)
Thanks for the sticky! I was one of the those asking about it a month or so ago :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ditto on the GE I

Have used it succesfully a number of times. I read somwhere that it used to say "for aquariums" but because of liability..took it off.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
When I was building stuff for my SW including calcium reactors, which some member still running after 10 years, I use Dow Corning 999. I can still get them through wholesale.

Strong bond and no harm to fish. When I was researching, I talked to the Dow Corning. They advised me that it was used by SeaWorld. It does give out a bit of vinegar when curing.

I can problem get it with tax for around $8 a tube. Have not bought one for a while. Probably need to buy a case of 20. Unless someone know where to get them by the tube - glass shop used to sell them.

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
When I was researching an adhesive for my polyethylene and glass box pond I asked here for some suggestions.

I was told that the best aquarium glass to glass silicone was:
You want GE SCS1200 construction silicone. Most tank makers use it including for construction of glass/acrylic sumps. Here's the data sheet:

http://www.siliconeforbuilding.com/Specialty/silicone-SCS1200Construction

Thanks to "fkhiu'

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was at Home Depot today to pick up some GE Silicone I and they only had white :/

They have GE Silicone I* in clear, which is some newer eco-friendly option. Do you know if this is ok? It says right on the tube "Not for use below the water line or in aquariums".

I bought the white one but would rather have clear.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I resiliconed my tank yesterday with the GE Silicone 1 CLEAR cause that's what I was advised to get. I am still waiting for the glue to fully cure so I haven't had the luxury of filling it up with water just yet. I will do that tomorrow night as that will have given the glue 48 hours to cure.

I read from somewhere that GE silicone 1 used to have the "aquarium safe" label on it but there was an instance where it didn't work out well for an individual and a major lawsuit arose. Since then, they have removed "aquarium safe" off their packaging but for the majority people who have resealed their tanks, the GE Silicone 1 Clear or white has worked just fine.

·
Registered
398 Posts
btw, I went to the HOme depot on cambie and the one at gilmore and both locations had a TON of clear GE silicone 1 available. Good luck =)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it says on the tube " not for aquariums" heed the warning .. It is a different formulation than the safe one. Do not use it . The safe Silicone one will make no mention of aquariums on it .

·
Registered
327 Posts
btw, I went to the HOme depot on cambie and the one at gilmore and both locations had a TON of clear GE silicone 1 available. Good luck =)
wierd... i was at the gilmore one and they didn't have any (except for white). The GE silicone 1* was available, but it said 'not safe for aquariums'. will check RONA later i guess... or just use the white i bought.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
hard to believe any of them would be out of the clear, usually have a good stock of that. Hope you find some clear, I don't think you'd be happy with the white, especially when it starts to age it will look pretty rough

1 - 20 of 64 Posts