British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
GE I or GE scs1200

I'm thinking about building a tank and the size will probably be around 40x30x14 high. Not sure about the water capacity. Will this glue be good
Enough or is there anything else out there I could use for this build. Home depot carries the GE I but I'm not sure about the GE scs1200. Need some opinion and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The GE Silicone I is fine for building your tank.. You will also have to consider the glass thickness for your build . Finalize your dimension choice and then search online for a glass thickness calculator to calculate the minimum thickness you will need.
You can figure the water capacity by taking the L x W x H figure in millimetres and dividing by 1000 for litres , and the L x W x H in inches divided by 231 to give you the capacity in US gallons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
DANGER - this is what data sheet says

When I was researching an adhesive for my polyethylene and glass box pond I asked here for some suggestions.

I was told that the best aquarium glass to glass silicone was:
You want GE SCS1200 construction silicone. Most tank makers use it including for construction of glass/acrylic sumps. Here's the data sheet:

Specialty Silicone Sealant - SCS1200 Construction - Elongation - GE Sealants

Thanks to "fkhiu'
Limitations
SCS1200 should not be used, applied or is not recommended:

• For use on mirrors.
• For use on wet, damp, frozen or contaminated surfaces.

Contact Momentive technical services for applications
where sealant is used underwater or in continuous contact
with water

SO WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
May sounds funny:

"Contact Momentive technical services for applications where sealant is used underwater or in continuous contact with water"

It will be a good educational experience. They are usually extremely helpful. Why guess? They may have a 1-800 # to call.

The Dow Corning rep was very patient explaining how silicon works and which one of their product I should use. It was clear to her I was not going to buy hundreds of tubes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What is the recommended curing time for GE Silicone I? I used some to attach some rocks to the back of my tank as a 3D background of sorts. Anxious to add water. It's been over 24 hours, but there is still a vinegary smell. Hoping to add water from my existing tank gradually over next few days with water changes so tank is cycled and and ready to transfer Over the fish.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I think you are fine. Silicon cure with moisture anyway. O, as long as the pieces are fully supported and nothing wants to flow and apply tension to the joint. Otherwise, it would be wise to wait a week.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Another one is the Weather Shield Silicone sold in Home Hardware. It actually states that it's safe.

I've also used DAP Silicone (sold in Ronas) in the past after researching it online without any problems (2 years later).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Will this stuff bond under water or do you have to drain the tank before doing any work?
Not resealing anything, just wanting to do up a 3d background and attach it to the tank.

·
Registered
327 Posts
TAkes like 24h to cure and must be applied to clean dry surface. You will have to drain your tank

·
Registered
125 Posts
i used silicone I like everyone recommended, i used it to make pleco caves using slate. It holds very well, i made sure to let it dry for 2 days just to be safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GE Silicone I with mildew resistance

I have some GE Silicone I 100 % Silicone I Kitchen & Bath. It states clearly that it contains a preservative that is mildew resistant. I am thinking I don't want to use it.
GE Silicone I smaller.jpg
GE SIlicone I close up smaller.jpg

Note that it's in a red tube and the "Windows and Doors" is in a blue tube. Maybe they are marketing different products under the same product banner (Silicone I). Talk about confusing the consumer.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
the one u r showing is for Kitchen and bath and the one been recommended is Windows and doors

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I believe All GE silicone products now have the mold and mildew preventives in them. Home Hardware carries this stuff which even says safe for aquariums: Home Hardware - 300mL Clear Silicone Sealant if your out to save a few bucks, otherwise best to get the good stuff from the LFS's

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I've been told they've changed the formulation of the silicone I; but I have not checked the tubes in the stores yet myself .. If you have Silicone I, but it says mildew resistant , it is NOT to be used in aquariums. The Silicone I that was safe for aquariums was the Windows and Doors one . 100% silicone , without any mold and mildew resistant additives .

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I visited CanTire yesterday and they still have the GE Silicone I for windows and Doors in the blue tube I showed in page 1 of this thread ..It is aquarium safe. In the use comments on the tube , you will see no mention of aquariums . I found they also now have Silicone I in a red and white tube for Kitchens and Baths. It says 100% silicone , but resistant to mold and mildew. In the use information , it clearly states "Not for Aquariums".
When looking for Silicone to reseal your tank , always read the user information. It will either state it is not for aquariums or is aquarium safe . The GE Silicone I in the blue tube, for windows and doors makes no mention of aquariums one way or the other. That has not changed, so I can be quite sure it remains safe for aquariums.. The GE Silicone I in the red and white tube for kitchens and baths clearly states it is NOT for aquariums and the warning should be heeded. I suspect those that had poisoning problems from Silicone I used the red and white Kitchen and Bath formulation and didn't bother reading past the Silicone I on the tube. No matter what brand of Silicone you use , read all the information on the tube before using it on an aquarium.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Forget going to Rona or Home Depot, or Walmart. Just go to your local Industrial Plastics & Paints. I was instructed by an employee at Home Depto to go there as the silicones they had at HD were not recomended for under water use. So today I went to Industrial & they had the GE SCS silicones for $7 but only had black at the moment so next to it was this

The proper aquarium silicone, so you don't have to second guess yourself if the one your looking at or bought is safe. As you can see it only costs $8.99 so after tax it was $10 & I was out the door. All the mainline GE silicone has the mildew resistant chemical in it now & is not aquarium safe. I did use the GE SCS silicone before & worked fine with no affects to my fish at all, but can only find it in black.

·
Registered
542 Posts
they changed the label on the ge1 door and window, just bought some. no where on it does it say anything about mildew or mold. the other kitchen and bath does say mildew and mold on it tho. read the label for sure!! i have used dap 100% silicon sealant as well with my 30 gal hex and its been running strong for 6 months with not even a frail neon dying

21 - 40 of 64 Posts