British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my GF tells me a few days ago that she wants to switch our 30 gallon tank from a Tropicalfish Community tank to a Goldfish tank. If we go through with this can I keep my Silver-tip BN Pleco or would it be best to just have a regular Pleco with Goldfish ????

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
silver tip bristlenose will not do well with the lower temperature.

Regular pleco will do ok with lower temperature but it will get too much waste and too aggressive as it grows.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
silver tip bristlenose will not do well with the lower temperature.

Regular pleco will do ok with lower temperature but it will get too much waste and too aggressive as it grows.
So is there a pleco out there that does well in cold water but does not get too big ????

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ummm....
just a thought, how about plecos, warm water and no goldfish?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
If it's fancy goldfish, you're likely going to keep them in the high 70's anyway, are you not? In that case, the BNP should do ok. The other fish you can go to if you intend to keep the temperature low is to go with the Hong Kong Pleco aka Hillstream Loach (a flat loach that's not a pleco).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's fancy goldfish, you're likely going to keep them in the high 70's anyway, are you not? In that case, the BNP should do ok. The other fish you can go to if you intend to keep the temperature low is to go with the Hong Kong Pleco aka Hillstream Loach (a flat loach that's not a pleco).
Yeah - it will probably end up being Fancy Goldfish ( if we even make the switch ) so the temperature will be a little higher than cold water. Just in case - I'll look into the Hillstream Loach.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after doing a bit of research it looks like if I keep my tank around 72 F then I should be OK keeping my Silver-tip BN Pleco with some fancy Goldfish. Now I'm just waiting for my GF's final decision. Thanks to all those that helped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts