British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a group of 20-24 Tropheus. Great colors & eating like crazy.

What I've noticed is that they stay on the bottom when I turn the aquarium light on.
It takes them a looooong time before they start to move around (or until I feed them).
When I turn the light off, they start swimming normally. The light I have is a normal
Coralife T5 lighting. XP3 & AC110 for filtration. Water movement is good.

My question....is the light too bright? Maybe more foot traffic now then what they were used to?
I've tried moving some rocks around but still the same.

Any advice....greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I've had a couple of colonies of tropheus and they were fine with the lights on. Is the room normally very dark until you turn the lights on? The sudden brightness does shock them a bit. For my lights nowadays, I have them ramp up slowly to give them time to acclimate. I remember the Tropheus were a lot of fun to watch. Swimming in and out of the holey rocks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think you need more water flow. They swim like crazy. Lights on or off. I had a korilla 4 with 2 xp4 filters in mine.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a couple of colonies of tropheus and they were fine with the lights on. Is the room normally very dark until you turn the lights on? The sudden brightness does shock them a bit. For my lights nowadays, I have them ramp up slowly to give them time to acclimate. I remember the Tropheus were a lot of fun to watch. Swimming in and out of the holey rocks.
Yes, room is dark....however, there is a living room light that is on a timer...that is on but it's about 20ft away.
When I come closer, they scramble to the bottom before I put the aquarium light on.

I have Duboisi in my other tank downstairs. Room is more dark but they don't act nothing close to this.
Always at top, swimmimg actively looking for food no matter what the conditons. The only difference is
that the Duboisi are slightly younger in age.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
How long have they been in the tank??
Maybe they are not familiar with the routine yet?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
2 weeks....they are avg. about 2.5"
Ok.. Mine were doing that for the first 2-3 weeks.. maybe giving that bit more time.. If they are eating like crazy and healthy.. that is a good sign..

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok.. Mine were doing that for the first 2-3 weeks.. maybe giving that bit more time.. If they are eating like crazy and healthy.. that is a good sign..

Thanks...the only reason I'm questioning it is that the Duboisi were acting normal from Day 1....different species & age I guess...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts